NYU Stern School Stats PhD

Just wondering if people have any particular insight into how good this programme is. In particular I'm curious as to how being part of the business school affects it (as opposed to the graduate school of arts and sciences or similar like most universities).

There are a few Statistics departments that are in business schools. For example, at University of Pennsylvania, the Statistics department is in the Wharton School of Business. In spite of this, it does not seem as though most of the statistics faculty at UPenn work on any particular business/economic applications, and most of them are pretty theoretical. I think at Temple University, the Statistics department is also in the business school, and not all of their faculty work on business applications of statistics.

As to how reputable the NYU program is, I really do not know much about this program. It seems very, very small (< 10 students across all years). I guess a good starting point would be to look at the publication records of Statistics faculty in the IMOS department at NYU and see where they are publishing. If you're interested in industry, it might not be so important that faculty are publishing consistently in top-tier journals -- but you do want to work with a faculty member who is reasonably productive so you can graduate!