Fall 2021 PhD Waitlist

ANH3

I am wondering if anyone has any wisdom to offer for those of us who have been waitlisted/made alternates for admission for PhD programs at major universities. I was waitlisted for Vanderbilt and am wondering how the process works and if they select from the waitlist on a rolling basis or if they make offers after the April 15 response deadlines for admitted students.

It depends on the school for whether they roll or bulk offer. No idea about Vandy. 

I was waitlisted at Drew and Fordham last year, my advice is to work on publications and AAR conference presentation prep while you wait. If you don’t make it, those type investments now are the only way to boost the resume convincingly by the next application due date. That seems to be the brutal reality here. The biggest advantage of a waitlist spot is that you know you’re an inch away, but in order to cross that gap you need to start the process now. I think AAR extended their open call due date... do you have two conference proposals in already?

4 hours ago, thiscalltoarms said:

It depends on the school for whether they roll or bulk offer. No idea about Vandy. 

I was waitlisted at Drew and Fordham last year, my advice is to work on publications and AAR conference presentation prep while you wait. If you don’t make it, those type investments now are the only way to boost the resume convincingly by the next application due date. That seems to be the brutal reality here. The biggest advantage of a waitlist spot is that you know you’re an inch away, but in order to cross that gap you need to start the process now. I think AAR extended their open call due date... do you have two conference proposals in already?

Yes, the AAR did. I already have something to work on this weekend, because they just sent an email to remind us!