When should I tell my manager I am leaving?

fiziks__

Question

Hello all,

I have gotten an offer for my Ph. D. (yay!) that I will be accepting, and probably will be moving around the beginning of June to start working in the summer for a potential advisor. I am currently working full-time and now am trying to find the right time to quit my job and move out. It's hard to plan exactly when I leave my job without talking to my manager, but I don't want to let on too much too soon because I am due to collect a bonus check sometime in May, and I don't want to get the axe before that. That being said, the company is expanding rapidly and really busy, and take a long time to hire people. I don't want to blindside them and leave them short-handed. It's hard to keep it a secret in general because my manager has been really encouraging about my future career (he doesn't know that I applied to Ph.D.) and even encouraged me to look at other jobs that might allow for more advancement.  If you were working full-time before heading off to your Ph.D., when and how did you tell your managers/bosses when you were leaving the job?

1 answer to this question

Honestly, I'd keep it to the standard 2 weeks. I told my job soon after I got the acceptance because I wanted to be nice and help with the transition for my replacement. My supervisor wrote 1 of my letters because my job was very relevant to my intended studies. I got screwed over by HR and was not able to use any of my PTO as vacation time (which is also not paid out upon leaving) because I had given my notice in March for mid-July. This was a small social services non-profit.  

You don't owe your company anything. They will look out for their best interests first and foremost. As should you.