Boston Area Schools Fall 2021

ajak568

Hi gradcafe folks,

Congrats to anyone recently admitted to grad school programs. I'm excited about my recent PhD admission offer at Tufts and wanted to start this thread for applicants strongly considering enrolling in grad school programs (MA, PhD, etc.) in the Boston area. There are so many schools in the area (e.g., Harvard, MIT, Boston College, Boston U, Northeastern, Tufts, etc.), I felt it made sense to start a thread to unify all the folks considering moving to Massachusetts and forming part of the grad school/research community in the greater Boston area. Any tips about moving to the area? Anybody who already lives there have any sage advice about the vibe? I'm currently based overseas, so come summer I'm sure I'll have some hurdles to jump in terms of trying to secure housing from a remote location.

I look forward to connecting with you folks, and congrats again. :)

Hi! I will probably be attending BU in the fall (still waiting to hear from Yale, but I think my odds are pretty low, considering I was rejected from Harvard). I was born and raised in Boston, but not the part near any of the universities, and I went to undergrad in western Mass. Excited to live in a new part of town. 

Not an issue for someone flying here, but if you're planning to drive a UHaul to Boston: be VERY careful about where you're going!! Avoid Memorial Drive (route 3) and Storrow Drive. Every year we have out of state university students drive a UHaul into bridges. 

9 hours ago, MaryHildegard said:

Hi! I will probably be attending BU in the fall (still waiting to hear from Yale, but I think my odds are pretty low, considering I was rejected from Harvard). I was born and raised in Boston, but not the part near any of the universities, and I went to undergrad in western Mass. Excited to live in a new part of town. 

Not an issue for someone flying here, but if you're planning to drive a UHaul to Boston: be VERY careful about where you're going!! Avoid Memorial Drive (route 3) and Storrow Drive. Every year we have out of state university students drive a UHaul into bridges. 

Thanks for the tip! I'm currently based in Colombia but when it comes time to move to Boston, there's I might be driving up from the DC area or even from NC (where I'm from originally). I will keep your advice in mind. :)

Hello!

First, congrats on getting into your program! I'll be attending a Suffolk Clinical Psychology PhD program. I've lived in Boston for the last ten years so happy to help in any way to people moving to the area! The t system and renting can be tricky to navigate here, so let me know if anyone has specific questions! Hope we can all meet at some point!