M.A. or Ph.D for non-academic career prospect

curiouscandy

Apologies if the following question sounds silly. I received an offer from Oxford's BPhil and several from PGR T10 Ph.D programs. While I am very appreciate of these Ph.D offers, I wonder if it would make sense to attend B.Phil for someone who doesn't plan to remain in the academia in the long term? On account of BPhil's placement data, it appears to be quite a versatile degree, and my impression is that Oxford's pedigree would be advantageous in the job market (I have in mind consulting or public-policy-related jobs). In contrast, I wonder if a Ph.D degree from a non-ivy league PGR T10 or even T5 would be less recognized outside the academia?

I’ve actually been told by graduates of the BPhil in Philosophy that a lot of them specifically end up in consultancy. If you don’t plan on entering academia, then I guess the fact that the BPhil is only 2 years counts in its favour. And having a PhD rather than a BPhil would be unlikely to give you any extra boost on the non-academic job market. The only reason I can think of not to accept the BPhil would be if you were unable to secure funding.

Also, having just re-read your post, just to add to the above: I definitely feel that the pedigree of Oxford would outweigh the fact that it’s a BPhil rather than a PhD on the non-academic job market. A non-academic employer probably wouldn’t know that Rutgers has a stellar program for example.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:49 PM, curiouscandy said:

Apologies if the following question sounds silly. I received an offer from Oxford's BPhil and several from PGR T10 Ph.D programs. While I am very appreciate of these Ph.D offers, I wonder if it would make sense to attend B.Phil for someone who doesn't plan to remain in the academia in the long term? On account of BPhil's placement data, it appears to be quite a versatile degree, and my impression is that Oxford's pedigree would be advantageous in the job market (I have in mind consulting or public-policy-related jobs). In contrast, I wonder if a Ph.D degree from a non-ivy league PGR T10 or even T5 would be less recognized outside the academia?

Take the top 10 PhD. It's free, gives you way more options, and not that much longer than the BPhil if you hustle. 

I don't have much familiarity with job markets, but an important question seems to be: do you want to study philosophy for 5-6 years, and are you ok with not making more money in that time? If the answer is a strong yes, take the top PhD program, and then you can take advantage of various opportunities during it to boost non-academic job prospects as well.