MA Stats Berkeley vs MSc Stats Chicago vs MSc UIUC - Stats

Hey! 

Hopefully some of you can provide me with a different point of view on this matter.

I got admission to some great programs in Statistics. Now, I have some questions:

1. The fact that the program from Berkeley is an "MA" rather than a "MSc" will hamper my chances of enrolling in a PhD later in life? (I am almost certain that I do not want a PhD but who knows!)
  2. In my country, COVID vaccination campaign is a complete disaster. If I enroll to the most expensive of these programs in the US, I know I will regret because I will be taking my classes online. Should it be a real concern? Do you anticipate that classes will resume next fall?
  3. I think that theory is utterly important in statistics. I have seen tons of guys who have no idea of what python or R are doing, but they keep "running their codes". Basically, I am aiming to have a well-balanced education in Statistics. Chicago has that part (strong theory) but from my point of view, they lack the practical side. I was told that I could enroll in some course at the Toyota Institute but I am still not really sure if that will be enough. On the other side, Berkeley has a very applied curriculum, but I hate the part of just being there for 2 semesters (3 at most). Finally, from what I have read, UIUC has great Statistics and CS departments, but they do not have the big name of the others (I really like the CS department at UIUC!). To sum up, statistics practicioners, is it really important the name of the school from which you get your title? My described focus (50%theory-50%applications) is reasonable? Do you have any comment you want to share reagarding any of my proposed programs?

PS I have looked at their websites, but this time I want to hear from former accepted students (hopefully reading this).

Apart from this, how are you notified about finacial aid granted? Neither of my letters touch on the subject. Am I supposed to ask them? (sorry, I am an international student, I have no idea)

Thank you all for reading this :D

Edited by statsgirl

Don't worry about MA vs. MS, nobody will care.

I think two semesters is too short to really get a good statistics education. UIUC and Berkeley are great schools, but if the costs are similar, I really think Chicago's reputation is hard to beat and you will definitely take applied classes in their MS program.  If you need more "practical" experience beyond the linear models classes you take, try to get a research project or an internship while you're there.  On the other hand, if UIUC lets you take more classes that are interesting to you, that might be worth it. Berkeley's short program is less ideal because you won't learn as much in two semesters, but you also have the advantage of finishing early and making more money. 

Hi @bayessays! It is complicated. As you just have pointed all of them have something great. I have not found a lot of information regarding Chicago's ex-students. Have you found some of them in the industry? 

Money is an important factor for me. I will have a loan to repay. Due to COVID, funding at universities is not very generous.

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Hi @bayessays! It is complicated. As you just have pointed all of them have something great. I have not found a lot of information regarding Chicago's ex-students. Have you found some of them in the industry? 

Money is an important factor for me. I will have a loan to repay. Due to COVID, funding at universities is not very generous.

I have definitely seen some Chicago graduates in the Chicago data science scene.  Are the costs of these programs significantly different?

In my opinion, Berkeley and Chicago are way better than UIUC academically in statistics. 

If you're almost sure you want a job upon graduation, I think Berkeley is a better fit. Its perfect location and brand recognition in the field of statistics would make your job searching a lot easier. 

However, if you're not sure about industry or PhD, Chicago is a better fit I think. If you still decide to go industry after your master, Chicago is a very nice place to find a job in finance if that's your interest (If you want to work in tech company, of course I would vote for Berkeley as first choice). Don't worry about Chicago's being too theoretical, doing theory or application is primarily out of students' self choice. You could definitely do some very theoretical work for your master thesis if you want, but you could also do a literature review or data analysis sort of thing which could help you gain many practical experience and help your job searching. If you want to continue for a PhD, Chicago is definitely better than Berkeley. Some outcomes of their recent master graduates include Chicago stat, Chicago Booth econometrics and statistics, Yale stat, Stanford stat, Wisc stat, etc.

11 hours ago, bayessays said:

I have definitely seen some Chicago graduates in the Chicago data science scene.  Are the costs of these programs significantly different?

Sorry for my delayed response, I was looking for the exact info, I am going to post only tuition info:

For an academic year:

UChicago 46k considering a 25% scholarship

UCBerkeley 20k

UIUC 34k

9 hours ago, kkk123117 said:

In my opinion, Berkeley and Chicago are way better than UIUC academically in statistics. 

If you're almost sure you want a job upon graduation, I think Berkeley is a better fit. Its perfect location and brand recognition in the field of statistics would make your job searching a lot easier. 

However, if you're not sure about industry or PhD, Chicago is a better fit I think. If you still decide to go industry after your master, Chicago is a very nice place to find a job in finance if that's your interest (If you want to work in tech company, of course I would vote for Berkeley as first choice). Don't worry about Chicago's being too theoretical, doing theory or application is primarily out of students' self choice. You could definitely do some very theoretical work for your master thesis if you want, but you could also do a literature review or data analysis sort of thing which could help you gain many practical experience and help your job searching. If you want to continue for a PhD, Chicago is definitely better than Berkeley. Some outcomes of their recent master graduates include Chicago stat, Chicago Booth econometrics and statistics, Yale stat, Stanford stat, Wisc stat, etc.

Hi! @kkk123117 I like your point of view. May I ask, did you study at UChicago before?

5 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Hi! @kkk123117 I like your point of view. May I ask, did you study at UChicago before?

I didn't have experience with UChicago before. I'm a senior undergrad and just got into UChicago stats PhD program. The information I provided above is from talking to some current students and faculty members there.