The Job Market Reality

Deep Fried Angst

Sharing a link to the most recent report from the Society of Biblical Literature and American Academy of Religion on jobs:

https://www.sbl-site.org/assets/pdfs/JobsReportAy20.pdf

These are for jobs in all fields and areas of religious studies.

TL;DR

Jobs went down an unprecedented amount last year. Most of the decrease happened before March, and therefore the pandemic's affects are not reflected in this report.

There are still jobs. TT jobs. But the number of them are shrinking.

Worrying. This makes me wonder: given how competitive the academic job market is in religious studies - and in general - is one at a disadvantage not having a PhD from an Ivy League school or equivalent institution? Let's say you're up for the same job as a candidate who is equally qualified as you, the only difference being that they received their PhD from an Ivy League school - will you be passed up in favor of them? I hope this isn't an elitist question - only thinking aloud about my future prospects...

43 minutes ago, _Athena_ said:

Worrying. This makes me wonder: given how competitive the academic job market is in religious studies - and in general - is one at a disadvantage not having a PhD from an Ivy League school or equivalent institution? Let's say you're up for the same job as a candidate who is equally qualified as you, the only difference being that they received their PhD from an Ivy League school - will you be passed up in favor of them? I hope this isn't an elitist question - only thinking aloud about my future prospects...

All others factors held equal (including quality of your own work), the prestige of your advisor and school/department will have an impact on where you find work. No doubt about it. 

Thank you for sharing this harrowing report. I'll be honest and say I'm not entirely convinced that most of the decline has little to do with covid, but I'd need to see more on their data collection method and raw data to be sure (I actually have a background in stats, so I'm not BS'ing here). With that said, there's no denying that this is a big drop and we're unlikely to see a bounce back for at best several years (if ever).

I'll reiterate the advice I gave on the PhD applications thread that people considering applying or matriculating to religious studies PhDs in the near future should do research on how supportive their school and advisor will be should they choose to pursue an alt-ac or outright non-academic job. Likewise, I would advise everybody going in to try to find 1-2 fields they may be interested in working in besides academia and to try to keep opportunities open in them during the PhD.

Edited by Pierre de Olivi
clarifying

2 hours ago, thiscalltoarms said:

I have two acceptances, and trying to figure out which one will help land a job after seems to be the main thing that I’m overthinking. Such a tough season to make any choices...

Look at where your potential advisors' former students are now if you can. 

2 hours ago, thiscalltoarms said:

I have two acceptances, and trying to figure out which one will help land a job after seems to be the main thing that I’m overthinking. Such a tough season to make any choices...

I whole-heartedly agree with you on cultivating interests outside academia. This must be done from the get-go. Getting tunnel vision will just hurt one at a later point. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this, I have been actively reworking my study focus to maximize my marketability after the PhD and this just confirms to me that this shift was necessary. Tough times for everyone.