GWU Elliot vs. UCSD GPS vs. Others

Hi guys,
As the Fall 2021 admission decision cycle is reaching its peak, I now have some lists of schools to choose from and want to hear your opinion on IR programs.
I got into American SIS ($), UoD Korbel ($$), UCSD GPS (no funding yet), GWU Elliot (w/o funding), and waiting for Columbia SIPA (but doubtful)
I will be focusing on Asia and regional security (especially surrounding North Korea).
Since my career goal is working at the State Department or DoD, I think Elliott and American SIS have an advantage in the location and networking.
However, as a California resident, I get a huge discount on UCSD's tuition (about 3x cheaper than elsewhere even without funding), and I really enjoyed their seminars from Korea-Pacific Program last year.
Any recommendation or feedback from alumni for either school in a similar career field as I am? 
I reached out to each school's career and academic advising, but I only got vague answers.

I'd say UCSD easily.

They have a strong focus on Asia. Location in DC can be nice, but if you're trying to work for State or DoD, the federal hiring process won't care if you are networked with people inside the Beltway. The only thing that will help is checking certain boxes, like language skills or veteran status if you don't have that yet. (Might be worth exploring joining the reserves or Cal Guard during grad school or shortly afterward)

If UCSD also gives you funding, on top of the lower tuition rate as an in-state public school, then this is an easy call in my opinion. 

You might want to look into large rent hikes that were just announced for UCSD grad housing (though my understanding is that students and faculty are unhappy about them so they might be reversed or reduced) -- I don't know details, but this might change the cost/benefits for you.

Edited by mapiau

2 hours ago, Kole_Kolt said:

I'd say UCSD easily.

They have a strong focus on Asia. Location in DC can be nice, but if you're trying to work for State or DoD, the federal hiring process won't care if you are networked with people inside the Beltway. The only thing that will help is checking certain boxes, like language skills or veteran status if you don't have that yet. (Might be worth exploring joining the reserves or Cal Guard during grad school or shortly afterward)

If UCSD also gives you funding, on top of the lower tuition rate as an in-state public school, then this is an easy call in my opinion. 

Thank you so much! 

I never thought about military as a route.

I am fluent in Korean, and I do have strong background in history.

One thing that I concern is that I am 32 and might not be allegeable to join the military after Master's program. 

2 hours ago, calmclamsulam said:

Thank you so much! 

I never thought about military as a route.

I am fluent in Korean, and I do have strong background in history.

One thing that I concern is that I am 32 and might not be allegeable to join the military after Master's program. 

Being fluent in Korean is a huge plus if you can pass a background check for the military, but it's also just a major bonus on its own.

The Navy Reserve has a direct commissioning program for people with in-demand skills. In practice, it's often filled by people with political ambitions trying to dress up their resumes, but it might be worth chatting with a recruiter about. I know they have age waivers too. Just a thought, and it can be helpful for careers, but it's by no means the only option. Best of luck!