Masters degree from New Zealand accepted in US?

I am a US citizen who wants to go get my MFA (Masters of Fine Art) at a small, private college in Auckland, NZ (Whitecliffe College of Art & Design). I would like to go here, however, I need to know if the degree that I will receive from them will be accepted and count when I come back here to the US and apply for jobs. It is called a Master of Fine Arts, just like here in the US, and it is a 2 year program, just like here. The New Zealand Ministry of Education told me that "Whitecliffe College of Art and Design is registered and accredited with NZQA (the NZ Qualifications Authority) to offer the Master of Fine Art. NZQA assess qualifications achieved outside of NZ for equivalency, unfortunately, we are unable to tell you what another country will accept. You would need to contact the appropriate body in the USA who assess International Qualifications." I am not sure who I get in touch with - who is this 'ppropriate body in the USA who assess International Qualifications'?????

I am in the process of contacting HR and the arts dean at a local community college, asking the same questions, but I am not sure where else to find my answer! Anyone have any ideas for me...or better yet, any answers? THANKS!

• 2 weeks later...

I am a US citizen who wants to go get my MFA (Masters of Fine Art) at a small, private college in Auckland, NZ (Whitecliffe College of Art & Design). I would like to go here, however, I need to know if the degree that I will receive from them will be accepted and count when I come back here to the US and apply for jobs. It is called a Master of Fine Arts, just like here in the US, and it is a 2 year program, just like here. The New Zealand Ministry of Education told me that "Whitecliffe College of Art and Design is registered and accredited with NZQA (the NZ Qualifications Authority) to offer the Master of Fine Art. NZQA assess qualifications achieved outside of NZ for equivalency, unfortunately, we are unable to tell you what another country will accept. You would need to contact the appropriate body in the USA who assess International Qualifications." I am not sure who I get in touch with - who is this 'ppropriate body in the USA who assess International Qualifications'?????

I am in the process of contacting HR and the arts dean at a local community college, asking the same questions, but I am not sure where else to find my answer! Anyone have any ideas for me...or better yet, any answers? THANKS!

hi! i'm from new zealand, and if it's NZQA approved then it's legit, therefore meaning it will be accepted in the US and everywhere else i assume. i think the problem would be will it be the equivalent to an MFA in the US. for me, i tend to think it's all pretty much the same once you get to a university level, i mean i know in the US a bachelor's degree is often 4 years whereas in nz it's often 3, but at the end you get the same qualification. thus i wouldn't worry about it being accepted or not unless you need an MFA to get into further studies, in that case, you should check out world education services. good luck with your studies in new zealand!

The previous poster is partially correct. NZQA approval DOES mean it is legit, but DOES NOT mean that any other accrediatation body will necessarily recognise that legitimacy.

I'm a long way from fine arts so take this with a grain of salt, but I've never heard of Whitecliff (bearing in mind the size of NZ, this is unusual). Also, really good privates in any form of higher education are rare in NZ. They tend to be very new. Did you look into doing an MFA at a uni or polytech? Having said that, NZQA has given the college approval to offer that degree.

If you know what you want to use the degree for (what kinds of jobs, or further study) you could ask the people who review applications if 1) they would consider a non-US/NZ degree at all (there is a snobbery in the US against foreign credentials) and 2) if they would consider this MFA from this college.

• 12 years later...

The standards between new zealand and the usa or most other coubtries does not exist, therefore you have to get each qualification evaluated for equivalency.

One such agency is naces, here is a link to them, there are some others too.

https://www.naces.org/?_aiid=12167

But if its just a fine arts degree do you really need it to be evaluated? Unless yoire trying to get admitted to a masters why bother? Its a bit different in medicine or engineering or law where its essential those qualifications match.