Help me decide between Duke and UCSD for master program

Hi! I am here to ask for help in choosing a good master program in political science. I have now received admission from Duke, UChicago, UCSD (MCEPA), and U of T. I am particularly interested in authoritarian politics and the political economy of development, with a specific focus on China. I can't decide upon Duke or UCSD. Here are the pros & cons of both schools.

Duke: PROS-good placement (except for this year), small class size, good training. CONS-People studying authoritarian politics basically reach out to Professor Manion and Malesky. I am afraid that I can't stand out and get a strong LOR.

UCSD MCEPA: PROS-more diverse, good faculties, a good place to study China, intensive training in quant, and probably more RA opportunities. CONS-no one entered into top Pol Sci PhD programs before (the cohort is relatively small and only 13 students graduated from this program in the past three years.) Too many required courses are focused on China and I can take only up to four PhD-level courses from the pol sci department.

4 minutes ago, plus said:

Well, Chicago has the distinct advantage of always releasing past placements*, so you can have a better idea about your future prospects. Between Duke and UCSD, I would definitely go to Duke: the cost of living is considerably cheaper and the placement seems to be much better. Furthermore, the program accepts some of its own students for the PhD program.

As a fellow international, I just wanted to remind you that doing a Master's at your own country can also be an option. I did just that and got wonderful acceptances. Of course, I don't know the specifics of Chinese academia, so your mileage may vary. If cost is not an issue, obviously you can't beat US universities for US PhD placements.

https://mapss.uchicago.edu/past-phd-placements-political-science

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

@CherylMinn,I just wanted to add two points about Duke. Thirst, even though you will be an MA student, you will likely take most of your classes together with PhD students. I think this is a big advantage, also because your future letter writers will be able to compare you to them. Second of all, being an MA student, I think you should look at the faculty more broadly. You are not searching for a dissertation advisor, who does what research should be much less relevant. There are other faculty members who can give you the guidance you may need. Even for PhD students who research authoritarian politics, just look at their dissertation committees.