Pending Ph.D. apps

Hi, I have these pending Ph.D. applications:

1. Stat programs: CSU, OSU, Rice, UC Riverside, UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara
  2. Biostat programs: U of Florida, UNC-Chapel Hill

Do you know which program has zero probability of accepting more candidates? I just want to know if there are any programs that have finished their admission rolling. Or, is there any program that ghosts their applicants?

19 minutes ago, bayessays said:

I know that OSU once sent me an offer in April, but that was like 8 years ago so not sure if their admissions has changed. 

Yes, I heard that they do rollings so I guess that's not impossible as well.

I'm always surprised how much you find out when you reach out to the departments directly.  Anyway, for the UC's you mentioned: 

• UC Riverside seems disorganized/slow.  It's unclear to me if they've sent out any offers. 
  • UC Davis' target class is only around 6 this year with a record number of applicants.  I'd say chances there are low. 
  • UC Santa Barbara's admissions chair is very responsive/super nice.  If you're curious, I'd reach out to her

8 hours ago, bob loblaw said:

I'm always surprised how much you find out when you reach out to the departments directly.  Anyway, for the UC's you mentioned: 

• UC Riverside seems disorganized/slow.  It's unclear to me if they've sent out any offers. 
  • UC Davis' target class is only around 6 this year with a record number of applicants.  I'd say chances there are low. 
  • UC Santa Barbara's admissions chair is very responsive/super nice.  If you're curious, I'd reach out to her

I've contacted UCSB and she told me that i'm waitlisted. It's very difficult to judge odds since they've received an excessive amount of strong applications this year, and their offers've got very few (both positive and negative) responses so far. ?

Thanks for UCD and UCR!

Edited by statenth

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 10:23 PM, bayessays said:

I know that OSU once sent me an offer in April, but that was like 8 years ago so not sure if their admissions has changed. 

I got an offer from OSU today. Seems their decision process has not changed much!

I can tell you about the Biostatistics programs. 

UNC-Chapel Hill has already sent out all offers and is not going to take any more candidates this year. I emailed them multiple times to at last know this from them. They didn't send me any rejection nor did they update my application portal with a rejection. I don't understand why they don't care about letting applicants know their decisions. The office is also not very responsive. 

U Florida has also sent out the offers. I let them know very early (mid-Feb) that I was not going to join there. I suggest that you reach out to all these departments and ask if they are still considering the applications. I think some of these programs might have kept you in the waitlist. If you don't find any response from the office staff, then consider emailing to the director of the graduate studies. 

26 minutes ago, Blain Waan said:

I can tell you about the Biostatistics programs. 

UNC-Chapel Hill has already sent out all offers and is not going to take any more candidates this year. I emailed them multiple times to at last know this from them. They didn't send me any rejection nor did they update my application portal with a rejection. I don't understand why they don't care about letting applicants know their decisions. The office is also not very responsive. 

U Florida has also sent out the offers. I let them know very early (mid-Feb) that I was not going to join there. I suggest that you reach out to all these departments and ask if they are still considering the applications. I think some of these programs might have kept you in the waitlist. If you don't find any response from the office staff, then consider emailing to the director of the graduate studies. 

Thank you so much for sharing the information!! This is exactly what I have been needed. Though UFL and UNC have not updated my status either, anyway, I have only one option in mind now. I will accept this offer unless I hear from UC Davis; but, UCD is highly likely to reject me since they did so last year. XD Many thanks again for your notes!!

Edited by statenth

Adding on because this is a thread about places people are waiting on, and because our lists overlap a bit. I'm going elsewhere, but I've not heard back from: NCSU Stats, UConn Stats, U Florida Stats, Colorado State Stats.