Columbia SIPA v.s. Georgetown SFS (MASIA)

jellyana

I can see that there are plenty of these types of posts in this forum, but I think that my situation is a little different from others because I plan on making a career in Japan after graduation, not in the U.S. (or, I would at least like to keep my options open for employment in either country). 

As a footnote, the reason why I did not directly apply to university in Japan is because 1) I prefer American style education which is more hands on/ based in discussions + fieldwork, 2) I find programs here to be more specialized in general. 

Georgetown's Asian Studies program is very small and specialized, with plenty of opportunities to find work in the DC bubble. There are pros and cons to this size, as individual attention opens the door to deeper connections to faculty/mentors, but also there is a smaller pool of alumni compared to other programs. DC is also comfortable for me as I spent 4 years living there during my undergrad and I have a good understanding of living there/ housing costs/ etc. 

SIPA is a much larger program and is located in NYC, meaning that living expenses will be higher. However, SIPA also offers a dual degree program with the University of Tokyo’s Graduate School of Public Policy. If I were to pursue an IR career in Japan, having Todai on my CV is an instant foot in the door. Japan really prioritizes name brand recognition over experience. Likewise, Columbia is a name that is familiar here, but Georgetown might not be (despite both universities being quite prestigious in America).

I did not receive funding for either, so I am currently looking for outside means, but I also have assistance from family so the financial side of things does not weigh as heavily on me as it might for other applicants.

If people have any thoughts, I would love to hear it! 

Hi there! I am also choosing between Georgetown and Columbia, albeit different programs. It sounds like the dual-degree option at SIPA is more geared towards your goals, and both schools estimate indirect costs at $25k/year- don't underestimate the expense of living near Georgetown! DC suburbs might be cheaper than NYC, but your commute to school might be longer. 

1 hour ago, Noatann said:

Hi there! I am also choosing between Georgetown and Columbia, albeit different programs. It sounds like the dual-degree option at SIPA is more geared towards your goals, and both schools estimate indirect costs at $25k/year- don't underestimate the expense of living near Georgetown! DC suburbs might be cheaper than NYC, but your commute to school might be longer. 

Thanks so much for your comment! Appreciate it.

This has definitely given me a lot to think about >< I would like to sit in on some classes and speak with alumni directly before making my final decision. 

On 3/16/2021 at 8:42 PM, jellyana said:

I can see that there are plenty of these types of posts in this forum, but I think that my situation is a little different from others because I plan on making a career in Japan after graduation, not in the U.S. (or, I would at least like to keep my options open for employment in either country). 

As a footnote, the reason why I did not directly apply to university in Japan is because 1) I prefer American style education which is more hands on/ based in discussions + fieldwork, 2) I find programs here to be more specialized in general. 

Georgetown's Asian Studies program is very small and specialized, with plenty of opportunities to find work in the DC bubble. There are pros and cons to this size, as individual attention opens the door to deeper connections to faculty/mentors, but also there is a smaller pool of alumni compared to other programs. DC is also comfortable for me as I spent 4 years living there during my undergrad and I have a good understanding of living there/ housing costs/ etc. 

SIPA is a much larger program and is located in NYC, meaning that living expenses will be higher. However, SIPA also offers a dual degree program with the University of Tokyo’s Graduate School of Public Policy. If I were to pursue an IR career in Japan, having Todai on my CV is an instant foot in the door. Japan really prioritizes name brand recognition over experience. Likewise, Columbia is a name that is familiar here, but Georgetown might not be (despite both universities being quite prestigious in America).

I did not receive funding for either, so I am currently looking for outside means, but I also have assistance from family so the financial side of things does not weigh as heavily on me as it might for other applicants.

If people have any thoughts, I would love to hear it! 

Most people I know in Asian studies for both programs are China focused, so your life could get rather interesting. That being said, if you think you want to approach your career from a more commercial background, SIPA makes more sense. If you want to focus on security studies or pure IR, Georgetown MASIA makes sense.

You are totally right about brand though. That might tip the scales to SIPA + NYC actually has a vibrant (yet small) Japanese community for you to practice our language skills. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am also in the same boat. Fully funded in Georgetown SSP vs 60k deficit in SIPA MIA. 

Any advice?

Also curious to what decision you have taken ultimately. 

On 4/13/2021 at 4:21 PM, W. Noow said:

I am also in the same boat. Fully funded in Georgetown SSP vs 60k deficit in SIPA MIA. 

Any advice?

Also curious to what decision you have taken ultimately. 

For basically comparable programs and a nicer administration, you can't go wrong with Georgetown. I have a major preference for NYC and more econ focused programs so so I didn't apply to G town, but that moneys important.