Not interested in doing PhD anymore after acceptance

Rerun

I've applied multiple years to more than 20 university and scholarships, got some interviews and finally got 2 PhD offers. One with funding and the other without. The one with funding is one of the school that I've been wanting to go for many years. But I guess my interest has change. In the past year I volunteer in a lab to realize that I really like research and the idea of team work etc. But then when there's a lot of pressure with publication etc in the lab, I started to become unhappy. Previously I also had a teaching experience and felt unhappy too. Now I am at the point.. what's the whole point of doing a PhD if I don't see myself happy in academia? I know this sounds naive. The reason I am doing a Phd is because I am passionate about my topic.. but then I don't know if a Phd is the only answer to what I want to do. My other plan is to get another master (change my field), find a job to do what I want to do, and start from there to figure out later.. if probably I still want a PhD. 

I am not young, early 30s. But I still want to take the time to figure things out. I am not sure if this is probably because I am still dissapointed that I didn't get to my dream school and really see myself there. Also, being pressured by someone else is really what I am avoiding right now. 

Is it too dumb to reject a funded PhD offer? Should I just do it and not overthink it. I've spoken to students and the professor. They seem nice and the program seems doable. I can still see my goal being fulfilled by doing a PhD, definitely, but I don't know if I am up to the commitment. I've heard many horor stories in PhD. Maybe any of you have similar experience or thought. thanks for getting this far to read my post!!

This is an important question you are asking yourself. Do not take it lightly. 

Many individuals who believe they are 100% committed to and excited for their doctoral studies don't end up completing their degree. That is not any sort of judgment on them. In fact, I really commend people for making the choice to leave if grad school isn't serving them living their best life (there can be some real stockholm syndrome/sunk cost fallacy at play in the academy). 

I don't think it's at all dumb to reject a funded offer if you think you'd be happier doing something else. I'd argue it's the smartest thing you could do, probably.

Not trying to encourage you to turn it down, but just to give yourself permission to consider a different path as a valid option.