MFA Decisions: Anyone considering low residency programs?

Deborah in Mass

I'm deciding between several low residency programs in the Northeast, and the conversations about Columbia and Yale are almost amusing. I applied to Yale years ago as a recent undergrad, and got such a bad vibe from the tour that their rejection neither surprised nor dismayed me. Just a year or two ago there was a huge story about Columbia's MFA students demanding a tuition reimbursement, I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily go there after that, especially seeing as how they are one of the most expensive programs in the country. Don't even get me started on SMFA's practice of funneling most people to their post-baccalaureate program to make even more money off of one of the least lucrative professions. If I was in this for the money, I would have chosen an easier path long ago, but please don't patronize me like that. 

From my perspective, what matters is the work. I want to make the best work I can in the years that are allotted to me. I'm going to suck the marrow out of whichever program I attend, and figure out how to first minimize and then pay off the debt as best I can. Not assuming a paid teaching gig is going to do that trick for me, but we'll see what happens. 

Is anyone else in this forum looking at low residency programs? Would love to hear your thoughts. 

Funny I keep thinking about what someone said about saying a bit about who you are. Who are you 12312345? I'm looking at Lesley University MassARt, and MeCA, not necessarily in that order.  Where did you apply?

Edited by Deborah in Mass
incomplete