Any Americans studying in Canada (immigration questions)

Hello,

I'm starting my graduate degree at McGill this Fall, I'm a US citizen and I plan to move to Montreal together with my girlfriend. However, I'm a little confused as to how to apply for a Study Permit together with her, so she can get a resident permit and eventually a temporary working permit as well. The thing is, the information is very clear on the fact that I can apply for a Study Permit at the point of entry into Canada, but nowhere have I read what to do in order to apply together with your girlfriend (de facto spouse in legal terminology, since we have lived together many years).

Anyway, anybody out there can help? It'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hello,

I'm starting my graduate degree at McGill this Fall, I'm a US citizen and I plan to move to Montreal together with my girlfriend. However, I'm a little confused as to how to apply for a Study Permit together with her, so she can get a resident permit and eventually a temporary working permit as well. The thing is, the information is very clear on the fact that I can apply for a Study Permit at the point of entry into Canada, but nowhere have I read what to do in order to apply together with your girlfriend (de facto spouse in legal terminology, since we have lived together many years).

Anyway, anybody out there can help? It'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

It sounds like a headache, actually, since Quebec has its own immigration policies and a different civil law than the rest of Canada.

In Quebec, even recognition of common law/de facto marriages is different. It may require an actual contract between the two of you before a notary in Quebec, before it is recognized. http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/choose-quebec/daily-life/family/marriage.html

Even getting recognized as your spouse, it will not be an easy ball of wax to get her a legal work permit. Even to get basic residency, you'll probably have to show that you have enough funds for both of you to live on. If she has specialized skills and speaks French, that's a help, but it's still a harder kettle of fish than you just getting a study permit. You may want to at least consult with an immigration lawyer.

here's another site to dig around in: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/temporary-workers/obtaining-authorizations/certificat-permit/applications-spouse.html.

and lastly...

another option (not the best, but it may be of some help): She might want to consider living in Plattsburgh, NY or even Burlington, VT, where she can work, and still be within an hour or so of you. Maye at least until she can get a work permit.