Lessons Learned From the Last 4 Years Getting an AuD

SAHLOUSEK

Lessons Learned from an AuD

Later this month I will be graduating with my AuD from Ohio University in Athens, OH. I have certainly learned a lot along the way - I’m definitely no expert, but if you’re interested here are some takeaways you could find helpful as you continue or prepare to start an AuD.

• Before getting in to grad school academics and personality are both very important, but once you are accepted to grad school, personality becomes increasingly important. Everyone knows you’re a sharp cookie, if you got into a school, so you may find it beneficial to focus less on showing everyone how smart you are and focus more on developing healthy relationships with your classmates, supervisors, and professors. Soon, they will all be your peers.

• Be very sure that an AuD degree is something that you can live with for the rest of your career. I am going back to school for a PhD in Public Health as soon as I graduate - I have no regrets about the clinical and academic skills that I acquired during my AuD but I also don’t expect to use the clinical skills I have acquired over the last few years ever again. Depending on your personal career goals, you may find that an AuD is not the most appropriate step to reaching the end point you want to reach.

• Cite your sources! My professors always told me I would regret not taking careful notes with citations to original sources I could refer people to when they asked where I got some particular piece of information, but I never paid much attention. I have had many situations where myself or others wanted to find out more about a clinical topic or resource, but couldn’t because the sources that it came from weren’t cited - learn from my mistake!

• Money, awards, and scholarships abound! I have a curated list here (make sure to go between all the sheets to see all of the opportunities) and new opportunities are often posted on Audiology forums like the Facebook Audiology Happy Hour and Antics and Anecdotes groups. Consider joining them and checking periodically for free professional organization memberships and other scholarships that will look great on your resume.

• Some people look for any and all opportunities for involvement, leadership, or resume-padding, but not all opportunities are equally valuable. Running for student organization leadership positions in your program or taking part in a research project when your real interests and career goals lie elsewhere may not be the most effective use of your time. Keep your end goals in mind and focus on opportunities that bring you closer to them, even if it means turning down some unproductive opportunities.

Funding.xlsx

Edited by SAHLOUSEK
Typo, attached linked file

• 11 months later...

Hey SAHLOUSEK,

Thank you so much for your info!

I got admitted in to Ohio U in Feb, and I hope to know more about the program! May I ask a few questions?

1. Why did you choose Ohio U rather than other schools? Do you still believe that it's a right decision?

2. Compared to the programs that are ranked higher (like OSU), do you feel a difference in the job people end up getting? Do audiologists graduating from USO generally get better jobs?

3. How are the clinical and research faculties there?

Thank you so much! I appreciate your answers!