There are rumors that the grad school I attended for my MFA might be shutting it's door for good. Our official transcripts can only be ordered through their current secretary and are not online. Several grad students have reached out and asked for them to move our transcripts to an online portal. They seem reluctant even so we informed them all online application now require digital official transcripts. Is anyone here who had this experience and could give advise? Is this something I need to worry about? Does it effect the value of our degrees?

If a college closes, it looks like you can get your transcript through the Department of Higher Education in the state that the school was located in. Outside of the US, perhaps there is something similar where your school was?

I would guess the main value lost is in your alumni network ceasing to expand, but that is a minor issue. You still have all of the knowledge and experience from your time there.

What kind of jobs are you looking for? I doubt they will ever ask for a transcript. 

We created a alumni group to keep our network and connection alive. Right now there is a group of alumni and friends working on saving the institution. We started a petition and there are alumni ready to start a fundraiser if needed. We are also getting the word out and have contacted the board http://chng.it/RbQb6Ggg57

One of my undergraduate program professor reached out to the school as well to explain how important it is that graduates transcripts are on a fulfillment platform.

It is good to know that even without that we still have a place to get them. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They just posted on their website that they will be closing their Italian operation end of June 2021. There really is nothing other than an office and rented gallery in New York. They pretty much did not want our fundraising help from alumni away. When they finally agree to a pledge drive we got 3 weeks to raise the funds. To little to late.   SACI Notice of Closure of Italian Operations | SACI College of Art & Design Florence.pdf

There are sites which claim alumni can ask for loan forgiveness if they graduated within 3 years of the school closing. I am curious if anyone here has had success doing just that after their University closed. 

I am looking into a job either in administration and in teaching. All the institutions I have applied to do ask for transcripts. The loss of network is not minor  and a great asset over ones career for grad students. 

Edited by Artistinquarantine

The three years I see is if you don’t go to another school and use financial aid within three years, that you will get auto loan discharge only if you meet the discharge criteria. If you have your degree, you wouldn’t qualify, at least for the US Gov loans. https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/closed-school

Unless you obtained loans from a different source, in which case you should be able to find that information by searching your specific loans. 

Best of luck.