Why do they do this?

nertperson

I have two schools that have already had interview weekends and not bothered to reject me. Why? Is it just that I'm so incredibly amazing they don't need to interview me and they're going to admit me with the interviewees? Did they want me to pay an $85.00 application fee plus a $0.41 cent rejection letter mailing fee? Did they think I was just kidding when I applied?

Anyone....?

^^^ the original poster said they DID have their interview weekends already.

I too am waiting on one particular school that MUST have had interviews already, at least if past years are any indication of the timeline they are working on.

are interviews typically ONLY for applicants a school is interested in? or are interviews often for borderline cases where they need more info from the applicant - and really good applicants are accepted without interviews?

Sorry - so they had the interview weekends...when? And are you certain there isn't another? I've also heard plenty o'stories where the dept is sending out letters, but the appropriate person hasn't signed them to be sent.

Never question the inner workings of a department. You'll drive yourself batty, and it has nothing at all to do with you personally.

Maybe they interviewed some of their top choices at that interview weekend. Maybe you're a second choice student and they're waiting to see if someone else declines to attend so they can admit you.

Have you applied for outside funding? The dept. may be on the fence until they learn whether you'll be bringing a fellowship with you. There's always room for an NSF/NDSEG/Hertz winner, even if you weren't interviewed per se. I'm not very social, but I have known two (2) people who won the NSF and were then admitted to schools where they'd been implicitly rejected. (NSF awards are announced at the end of March.) One of those winners even bargained his way into a school that had already sent a rejection letter. My guess is that schools are sick of missing out on this money and on the good students that their admission committees missed.

I have two schools that have already had interview weekends and not bothered to reject me. Why? Is it just that I'm so incredibly amazing they don't need to interview me and they're going to admit me with the interviewees? Did they want me to pay an $85.00 application fee plus a $0.41 cent rejection letter mailing fee? Did they think I was just kidding when I applied?

Anyone....?

You are probably on the waitlist.