Obtaining outside grant funds for an MFA?

Adelaide

Due to life limitations (not wanting/being able to move), I don't believe a fully funded MFA program is an option for me right now. However, I don't have the cash to spend on the degree, and for me personally, I don't want to take out loans. Or at least make the loans very, very, VERY minimal. ("Minimal" is subjective for everyone, I realize.) I know some schools do partial funding or award a select few a fellowship, but I was also wondering about obtaining non-loan funding outside the institution you're attending. Does anyone know if getting enough money for MFA from outside sources is a thing? I am going to contact my undergrad alma mater too because I do know they award a few alums some money for graduate school and continue researching places that give grants for graduate school. But I'd like to know if anyone here knew anything about this. Is it possible to cobble together enough grant money to fund an MFA? Of course I realize costs of every program differ, but just gauging a general idea, any thoughts, or if anyone has a sweet, sweet grant opportunity they think would fall into this area. I'm a woman in California, if that helps, though I know other demographics may play into it. Thank you!

Edited by Adelaide
addition about demographics

Other people may be able to answer this quesiton more fully, but my understanding is that most grants are given for a single academic year. As a result, you'd likely have to apply for more grants during your first year (and second year, if you attend a 3 year program). Personally, I think this option would be high-stress given how competitive/labor-intensive grant applications are, as well as the fact that you'd almost certainly need multiple grants to cover school and living expenses.

Yeah, great point! Anyone else feel free to weigh in, but that makes sense and does make this idea a long shot in feasibility. That being said, if anyone has any graduate studies grants they are familiar with, have obtained, etc., even if they are just a fraction of the cost, I'd still love to hear if people have something in mind. I've been searching ProFellow in the meantime.

Hey Guys,

Before everyone leaves this forum, does anyone want to stay on here or make a new forum for nerding out about creative writing? I think it would be fun for people to have a summer community space to either read each other's work, recommend books or just talk about creative writing in general? I know since undergrad I have missed talking to people in the field. I'll still be writing and working on new content over the summer! Let me know! ?