MA Decision Advice

oak_park

It is nearly decision day and I find myself completely up in the air. In the long term, my goal is a PhD in Economics (I think that I'd like to do government/institution/private research, but am not entirely opposed to academia). My research interests have to do, broadly, with the role of identity based norms in the creation and outcomes of regional economic bodies (particularly in the 'developing' world).

I was admitted to an unranked PhD in Economics with full funding, but turned it down because of concern over placement history. Now I have to decide between the following programs: 1 year global studies MA at Berkeley (have the potential to take graduate classes in the econ department), 2 year data science for public policy at Georgetown McCourt, and 2 year MA in Economics at New School for Social Research.

I understand that my undergraduate performance in mathematics courses (calc 1-3, lin alg, Real Analysis I & 2; C+/B- average) is a real sticking point for top programs. I went to a LAC so I don't have much research experience outside of a not quantitative senior thesis. I'm concerned that attending New School would shoehorn me into the heterodox camp (I have sympathies, and in truth my area of interest borders on sociological and draws a lot from ideas in Black Studies and early ideas in the Political Economy of development). Similarly, I am worried that attending such a data/ppol focused program at Gtown will push me toward a Public Policy PhD which I don't believe is my real interest. As for Berkeley, I worry that a 1 year program won't give me the opportunity to develop relationships with letter writers/demonstrate ability to succeed in graduate coursework. 

Any replies are much appreciated!  

Edit: UG GPA in major is 3.64 in major and 3.41 overall, GRE is 325 composite, but would retake during MA.

Edited by oak_park

14 hours ago, oak_park said:

It is nearly decision day and I find myself completely up in the air. In the long term, my goal is a PhD in Economics (I think that I'd like to do government/institution/private research, but am not entirely opposed to academia). My research interests have to do, broadly, with the role of identity based norms in the creation and outcomes of regional economic bodies (particularly in the 'developing' world).

I was admitted to an unranked PhD in Economics with full funding, but turned it down because of concern over placement history. Now I have to decide between the following programs: 1 year global studies MA at Berkeley (have the potential to take graduate classes in the econ department), 2 year data science for public policy at Georgetown McCourt, and 2 year MA in Economics at New School for Social Research.

I understand that my undergraduate performance in mathematics courses (calc 1-3, lin alg, Real Analysis I & 2; C+/B- average) is a real sticking point for top programs. I went to a LAC so I don't have much research experience outside of a not quantitative senior thesis. I'm concerned that attending New School would shoehorn me into the heterodox camp (I have sympathies, and in truth my area of interest borders on sociological and draws a lot from ideas in Black Studies and early ideas in the Political Economy of development). Similarly, I am worried that attending such a data/ppol focused program at Gtown will push me toward a Public Policy PhD which I don't believe is my real interest. As for Berkeley, I worry that a 1 year program won't give me the opportunity to develop relationships with letter writers/demonstrate ability to succeed in graduate coursework. 

Any replies are much appreciated!  

Edit: UG GPA in major is 3.64 in major and 3.41 overall, GRE is 325 composite, but would retake during MA.

If truly love Economics McCourt is probably the best option here to get a PhD from here. Granted an MPP is not the best way forward for a PhD regardless. Its a professional terminal degree for a reason. That being said, if you can maintain an above 3.8 GPA  (more realistically 3.9) and be loved by professors at McCourt, you are solid for going to a top notch PhD in Economics. I know someone who went to PhD in Politics and another who did Economics. 

If you dip below 3.8, then you can kiss you top ranked PhD dreams good bye (unless you got another ace up your sleeve)