Help me decide between philosophy M.A. programs. NIU vs FSU

zk1189

Hi all,

I'm having trouble deciding between two schools I've been admitted to for an MA in Philosophy.  NIU and FSU.

NIU seems to have much better placements, but has worse/very little funding.

FSU has worse placements but excellent funding.  They also have a PhD program, so I am concerned about there being a lack of emphasis on MA track students.

Both schools a good fit as far as my area of interest is concerned, but the question of funding makes this difficult.

FSU will cover all tuition and provides a stipend for living expenses.  NIU is not providing any funding.

Cost to attend FSU each year:

~$2000 per year (fees)

Cost to attend NIU each year:

Tuition: ~$14000
Estimated living expenses: ~$7000

Total: ~$21000 per year.

See EDIT for revised costs.

This is cutting it very close to the deadline (today!) but any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you

EDIT:  I've spoken to the graduate school and they've informed me that I've been selected for a tuition waiver.  I don't have the exact details yet, but this would cover ~80% of tuition costs.  The total costs would change as follows:

Tuition: ~$3000

Living expense: ~$7000

Total yearly expense: ~$10000

Edited by zk1189

I know very little about MA programs, but in the interest of a timely response given your deadline, FSU sounds way better. FSU has a good reputation on this board, and its placement is solid, even if not the very tip-top. What matters most for future applications is the work you do in the program, as it translates into writing sample and letters. But during the program, the funding difference here is *huge*. Not taking on the extra financial burden of $8,000/year will give you much more flexibility, whether you decide to apply on to PhDs or not.