Taking PhD Econ Micro and Econometrics as PPOL PhD

Dloverstreet

I will be starting a PhD in Public Policy at Arizona State in the fall. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the benefit of taking the core PhD Micro and Econometrics sequence as part of my PPOL curriculum to boost my Econ and math skills comparative to other PPOL PhDs. 

I’ve read quite a few posts and opinions about PPOL PhDs and their math abilities, so I thought supplementing my core PPOL classes with Econ classes would be a good idea. Do you think this would be beneficial for me on the job market after graduation? 

Thanks for your help!

Quant skills can only help! If you have an appetite for the math and you're able to take a challenging micro and econometrics sequence, I think it should really open up opportunities for the kind of research you're able to conduct and help you a bit on the job market. :) I'm started an econ/public policy PhD program in the fall and that's kind of what I'm looking to do--get all the quant training I can stomach. This is the best time to do it!

Thanks Ajak568, I appreciate your advice! I know one of the common criticisms of PPOL PhDs is that they can’t handle the rigor and math of an Econ PhD, but that is absolutely not true, at least in my case (having taken math courses through Real Analysis). So I thought I could demonstrate that by taking some of the core Econ courses. 

Best of luck in your program starting in the fall!