Help! Email to Apologize to a professor for declining offer

Comeonecomeall

Question

Hi all, I had an informal interview with a potential supervisor over Zoom after I was accepted to XYZ university. After the interview, I emailed him and restated my interest in working with him. I initially got no response but after a follow-up email, he said that I would be a great fit but couldn't guarantee a graduate position with him. He also stated that I would do well within the university. Since by this time I didn't have any offers ( a week before the deadline), I accepted the offer from XYZ (it was my last choice) as I didn't know of my chances to be accepted at a better school or with a better professor.

Recently, I got an offer from another ABC University (ranked higher in MY list) that is a better research fit with more potential advisor options. I am strongly considering accepting the ABC offer and declining XYZ. What will be the most polite and respectful way to inform the professor that I will not be joining the university after all?

Edited by Comeonecomeall

2 answers to this question

You can explain that your circumstances have greatly changed and you need to decline the offer. Explain how grateful you are for his time spent interviewing you and considering your application - maybe add a little personal flair of something you discussed to show that this is a personalized email. And end with best wishes to him and hope to keep in touch or cross paths in the future.

On 4/17/2021 at 7:21 AM, Comeonecomeall said:

Hi all, I had an informal interview with a potential supervisor over Zoom after I was accepted to XYZ university. After the interview, I emailed him and restated my interest in working with him. I initially got no response but after a follow-up email, he said that I would be a great fit but couldn't guarantee a graduate position with him. He also stated that I would do well within the university. Since by this time I didn't have any offers ( a week before the deadline), I accepted the offer from XYZ (it was my last choice) as I didn't know of my chances to be accepted at a better school or with a better professor.

Recently, I got an offer from another ABC University (ranked higher in MY list) that is a better research fit with more potential advisor options. I am strongly considering accepting the ABC offer and declining XYZ. What will be the most polite and respectful way to inform the professor that I will not be joining the university after all?

Don't mention ABC to the professor, and consider the comment of Liquirizia