2022 Application Thread

dr. t

37 minutes ago, LaVieilleDame said:

Is this also true if the two (1 admit, 1 WL) were for Am Hist and I'm Euro? I dont mean to sound like I'm desperately grasping at straws, but I'm desperately grasping at straws. 

Yes. Usually, the department makes all its recommendations, which the graduate school approves (there are rarely objections by that stage), and then acceptances are sent out in bulk.

I don't know why rejections lag. It sucks. 

4 hours ago, CaitlynM said:

If any of the NYU History posters could clarify what their field is? I saw a bunch of people post rejections today, but I still haven't heard anything so I'm not sure what field it was for? Thank you!!!

Mine was African History - wasn't accepted. Best of luck to you!

On 2/16/2022 at 7:00 PM, dr. telkanuru said:

Yes. Usually, the department makes all its recommendations, which the graduate school approves (there are rarely objections by that stage),

Unless the applicant is a violent felon (which does happen), the graduate school approves the department's recommendations.

5 minutes ago, psstein said:

Unless the applicant is a violent felon (which does happen), the graduate school approves the department's recommendations.

I've also heard of cases where someone had an unaccredited or unrecognized BA.

Anyone know anything about UMass Amherst decisions? I applied for the MA and haven't heard back. Just wondering if the radio silence is normal or if it spells bad news... Would it be rude to email them and ask for an approximate timeline of when I can expect an answer? 

17 minutes ago, bookshelforganizer said:

Anyone know anything about UMass Amherst decisions? I applied for the MA and haven't heard back. Just wondering if the radio silence is normal or if it spells bad news... Would it be rude to email them and ask for an approximate timeline of when I can expect an answer? 

I don’t know about MA but I was accepted for the PhD so I assume most decisions at graduate level have gone out, partly because I saw an MA acceptance on the results page. 

19 hours ago, bookshelforganizer said:

MA decisions usually lag PhD decisions significantly. 

"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." - Blaise Pascal 

On 2/18/2022 at 11:36 AM, timurdidnothingwrong said:

has anyone heard from harvard cmes?

Not even a whisper. Hopefully something comes along soon. This is the last program I'm waiting to hear back from

Hi all, been a while. I thought I'd post here instead of starting my own thread.

I have a bit of a unique situation on my hands. I have a full-time job teaching history at a CC where I am also department head. Love my job and never want to leave--but--I do not have my PhD and I would still like to earn it at some point.

At this point I'd like to earn the PhD for personal fulfillment reasons only, as there's not a lot of career advancement opportunities it can grant me given my current position. But the online PhD in history doesn't really exist as far as I'm aware. Is there any route you all can think of that would allow me to pursue my doctorate while continuing teach at my CC? Or should I just count my lucky stars and set the dream of a PhD aside?

19 hours ago, QuarantineQuail said:

Hi all, been a while. I thought I'd post here instead of starting my own thread.

I have a bit of a unique situation on my hands. I have a full-time job teaching history at a CC where I am also department head. Love my job and never want to leave--but--I do not have my PhD and I would still like to earn it at some point.

At this point I'd like to earn the PhD for personal fulfillment reasons only, as there's not a lot of career advancement opportunities it can grant me given my current position. But the online PhD in history doesn't really exist as far as I'm aware. Is there any route you all can think of that would allow me to pursue my doctorate while continuing teach at my CC? Or should I just count my lucky stars and set the dream of a PhD aside?

There are online PhDs in history, but they're largely not worth the money. It may depend on your scholarly output. If you've written a monograph or have multiple publications, you could apply for a PhD by prior publication (probably from a UK institution).

How is everyone's application cycle going? I'm lucky and got into my dream program (while rejected from many others). Any important lessons learned so far? 

Edited by tyg91

Is anyone else a college senior right now/dealt with this when they applied? I only applied to two T10 schools (bc people told me only to apply to schools with money & everyone else around me was applying to grad school..) because I assumed I would get rejected from both and get a masters/a job and figure out what I wanted to do later/apply to more schools the second time around... But I got accepted to A and rejected from B. It's a great offer with six years of funding + summer research stipends, but I just really don't like the location and I applied to school B even tho it wasn't a good fit bc I wanted to live in that city (really stupid I know)... All my professors seem really happy for me and told me to be proud & celebrate, but I can't tell if it's just anxiety and overthinking or if I'm just too young and I should just take some time off and figure it out.

5 hours ago, ghfjk1568 said:

Is anyone else a college senior right now/dealt with this when they applied? I only applied to two T10 schools (bc people told me only to apply to schools with money & everyone else around me was applying to grad school..) because I assumed I would get rejected from both and get a masters/a job and figure out what I wanted to do later/apply to more schools the second time around... But I got accepted to A and rejected from B. It's a great offer with six years of funding + summer research stipends, but I just really don't like the location and I applied to school B even tho it wasn't a good fit bc I wanted to live in that city (really stupid I know)... All my professors seem really happy for me and told me to be proud & celebrate, but I can't tell if it's just anxiety and overthinking or if I'm just too young and I should just take some time off and figure it out.

If you don't want to go, don't go. Not going is a choice. Given the contours of the market right now, it's wise to consider.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:45 AM, psstein said:

There are online PhDs in history, but they're largely not worth the money. It may depend on your scholarly output. If you've written a monograph or have multiple publications, you could apply for a PhD by prior publication (probably from a UK institution).

That's a good idea. I have a couple publications, and could turn my MA thesis into a book with a bit more research and writing. Also considered perhaps getting another MA or two in related fields, since online MA offerings are much more robust.

Edited by QuarantineQuail

8 hours ago, timurdidnothingwrong said:

what's the likelihood of acceptance from harvard history's waitlist? anyone here has experience w this from colleagues?

Depends on the year, but low.

Any grads have advice for older applicants? I'm 28 and I got my masters right out of undergrad so I've been working for 5 years. My masters is from my country of focus. I'm currently feeling on the fence about the program I was accepted to and thinking of postponing the PhD another year. I work for a post-conflict non-profit, and by the time I would apply this fall, I would be 29 and 6 years out from my masters. I did do conference presentations in 2019 and 2021 to try to keep the wheels spinning. 

This is my third cycle, but I have only applied to 4 schools total (1, then 2, now 3) and I was accepted to a state school, ranked in the 60s overall (but I think better in grad studies), and waitlisted at Michigan (after being waitlisted last year, too). I think I applied when I was feeling more desperate to get out of my job but I don't feel that way anymore. And I think if I take the time away from the professional world, I want the best shot at a successful academic run as I can get. The school I got into has a robust history dept and my advisor is well-known in the field, has a lot of connections, has edited a lot of journals, etc, and she has helped most of her advisees get academic jobs. I'm just not excited about it and wondering if I should have tried harder to get into higher-ranked schools. My undergrad GPA is 3.6 and my grad GPA is 3.3 (unfortunately it's rare to break the 3.5 threshold at my masters institution) and I wrote theses for both. Any thoughts on how much waiting after the masters is TOO much? I appreciate it.