What is a normal amount of philosophy classes to have taken before you apply to graduate school?

animalethicsnstuff

I was hoping to apply to PhD and masters programs this upcoming fall, and I think this might be my biggest weakness. I am a combined major, which at my university means taking fewer classes in each subject. When I graduate, I'll have taken 10 philosophy courses, but by the time I apply, it'll only be 8, and only 3 of those upper level/graduate levels. I have other experiences outside those courses, such as summer seminars, TA work, research, and two directed studies in philosophy that appear on my transcript but that I didn't get class credit for, but 8 classes seems so slim. I have a 3.85 philosophy GPA so it's not as if I did poorly, I just worry I'd be looked at as a candidate with limited experience in philosophy. 

Like the vast majority of applicants, you'll sink or swim on the strength of your writing sample, along with letters. So focus on making sure those are great. Perhaps one of your letter writers can speak to the relevant experience you gained in your other major. And you can apply to some funded MAs to increase your odds, so you have more than enough courses to get into those.

7 hours ago, maxhgns said:

20 or so is normal for Canadians who majored in philosophy. IIRC I had 24, a thesis, 6 MA courses, and an MA thesis.

10 courses at my undergrad institution would get you a minor.

Is this quarters or semesters? My undergrad philosophy major was 19 courses on a quarter system iirc.

On 4/23/2021 at 5:46 AM, Glasperlenspieler said:

Is this quarters or semesters? My undergrad philosophy major was 19 courses on a quarter system iirc.

Semesters. I don't think any Canadian university operates on a quarter system (except maybe Quest, or maybe their thing is even more unusual. I don't remember.)