Biostatistics Profile Eval for fall 2022

Hi all! A few things have changed about my profile, and I'm interested in any more opinions about whether I am in over my head here. Thanks!

Undergrad Institution: top 20 liberal arts school
Major(s): Statistics/Data Science
GPA: 4.0
Type of Student: domestic white female

Haven't taken the GRE but on the official PowerPrep:
Q: 167
V: 168

Coursework (completed)
Linear algebra (A), calc II (A), research design (a stats course, A), multiple regression (A), intro data science (A), intro computer science (A), intro statistics in psychology (A), 

Spring 2021: Calc III (likely A, maybe A-), discrete math (likely A), data vis and programming course in R (unsure)

Future coursework
Fall 2021: real analysis, probability, data science course
Spring 2022: mathematical statistics, advanced calculus

Research experience

Will have had 2.5 years of research experience with public health group doing quantitative research; I have one first-author publication in a non-undergraduate journal (maybe will have a second non-first author pub, but it would be in qualitative work, and it's still in writing), two first author conference poster/presentations; one REU doing qualitative research sponsored by NIH-affiliated entity; this summer, I'm doing what I think is a very prestigious REU at a top US cancer hospital in their epidemiology and biostatistics department, working with an epidemiologist doing Mendelian randomization

Skills
Pretty solid in R, some Python

Awards/Honors/Recognitions
Dean's list (all semesters), award for high first year GPA, merit scholarship with research included at school

Work experience
Data science job in this spring collaborating with a local public health organization, TA-ed intro statistics in psychology for a year, might TA intro biology in the fall

Letters of recommendation

Still TBD, but probably would have two really excellent ones from research advisors and one solid LOR from a stats professor

Schools
  • Biostatistics PhD: Harvard (I know), Hopkins (I know), Minnesota, Columbia, Penn, Duke, Vanderbilt, BU, Pitt, Florida, Rochester, Colorado, and UMass

Thank you!!

Edited by coffee_7
wrote "2020" instead of "2022"

• coffee_7 changed the title to Biostatistics Profile Eval for fall 2022

I think you might have a (relatively small) chance at Harvard, but probably not Hopkins. The other schools seem very attainable. Maybe add UNC/Michigan? They seem like good target schools for you. 

The biggest detriment to your app is that your real analysis grade won't be in by the time you have to submit. Do you have the ability to take real analysis in the summer? An A in real analysis would be a huge boost to your profile IMO.

Agreed that you should be trying to send in the updated grades for real analysis after they come in - hopefully you can get an A in that and inform schools before they make decisions, as your math background is light.  That being said, having a 4.0 from a good school and what seems like very good research experience should make you a strong candidate.  In my opinion, you should not be applying to BU, Pitt, Florida, Rochester, Colorado and UMass - you can definitely do better than this assuming you get A/A- in the rest of your math classes.  I would add in schools like Michigan, Brown, and other top 50 biostat programs.  I think you should apply to all the top programs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 4:47 PM, bayessays said:

Agreed that you should be trying to send in the updated grades for real analysis after they come in - hopefully you can get an A in that and inform schools before they make decisions, as your math background is light.  That being said, having a 4.0 from a good school and what seems like very good research experience should make you a strong candidate.  In my opinion, you should not be applying to BU, Pitt, Florida, Rochester, Colorado and UMass - you can definitely do better than this assuming you get A/A- in the rest of your math classes.  I would add in schools like Michigan, Brown, and other top 50 biostat programs.  I think you should apply to all the top programs.

Thanks! I guess I'm just concerned seeing people with much better math backgrounds getting rejected from PhD programs in this tier. Would my other research experience make up for this? I am not worried about getting into a top top program, but I would like to have as many options as I can come next April 

On 4/24/2021 at 3:30 PM, StatsG0d said:

I think you might have a (relatively small) chance at Harvard, but probably not Hopkins. The other schools seem very attainable. Maybe add UNC/Michigan? They seem like good target schools for you. 

The biggest detriment to your app is that your real analysis grade won't be in by the time you have to submit. Do you have the ability to take real analysis in the summer? An A in real analysis would be a huge boost to your profile IMO.

Thanks!! Honestly, I probably could try to take real analysis over the summer, but it would be kind of a squeeze with the REU and GRE studying. I think I would benefit much more from a full semester, not-double-paced experience for such an important class. I recognize that this lowers my admissions chances, but I'd rather learn the material really well. I'll consider it, though, so thanks for the suggestion. 

UNC and Michigan look interesting, but I'm a little concerned about the size of their programs. My #1 priority in grad schools is finding a solid program with great people, and I'd prefer a smaller department/smaller classes. I think I have the aptitude to get through, but I have a lot of anxiety and have really enjoyed the environment at being at a small liberal arts college with close professor-student relationships. Do you have any suggestions for places that might fit? So far, I've gotten good vibes from Rochester, Brown, Vanderbilt, and Minnesota.