Getting Master's Diploma After Ph.D. Starts

Game_Theory

Hi all. I have been admitted into an American Ph.D. program. At the moment I am in my last semester of a terminal MA, and things were going smoothly until I realized that I won't be able to get my official degree until September (a couple of weeks after the Ph.D. program starts). By that time I will have finished all my courses and I will be able to study in person in the US, but I wonder if graduating from the MA after my Ph.D. starts may be an issue for my registration/standing in the Ph.D. program. I have already reached out to my prospective university to ask if this would be a problem, but I am yet to hear back and I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I actually don't think this should be too much of an issue as long as you have finished the entire coursework of your master's and had your dissertation delivered in accordance with the MA programme's deadlines and regulations. Usually the sine qua non condition for beginning a PhD in America is that your undergrad is finished. Just make sure to check with your PhD school's graduate enrolment if everything is okay and explain your situation in detail. I don't think they will cause you further problems but it's always good to make sure of it