No External Funding :(

Attempted_Academic

Anyone else just find out that they didn't receive any external scholarships/awards? Don't get me wrong, my program tops everyone up to basically the same amount in terms of funding, but mine is going to come in the from of a TA position. I'm feeling pretty stressed about having to take on a TA position my first semester of my program since it'll be overwhelming enough. 

1 hour ago, Attempted_Academic said:

Anyone else just find out that they didn't receive any external scholarships/awards? Don't get me wrong, my program tops everyone up to basically the same amount in terms of funding, but mine is going to come in the from of a TA position. I'm feeling pretty stressed about having to take on a TA position my first semester of my program since it'll be overwhelming enough. 

Hey attempted_academic, I understand that can be a super stressful position. I TA’d my first four years of grad school. However, you’re in good company. I know a lot of grad students at UC that, TA at first, and sometimes the whole way through. and while it’s hard, they often make it through, get more practice writing for grants (out of necessity), and have great teaching skills to boot. It’s not ideal, but don’t worry, it’s not the end of the world. 

1 hour ago, LetsGetThisBread said:

Hey attempted_academic, I understand that can be a super stressful position. I TA’d my first four years of grad school. However, you’re in good company. I know a lot of grad students at UC that, TA at first, and sometimes the whole way through. and while it’s hard, they often make it through, get more practice writing for grants (out of necessity), and have great teaching skills to boot. It’s not ideal, but don’t worry, it’s not the end of the world. 

Thank you so much. Can't tell you how much your response means. I'm sure it probably sounds like a silly thing to get upset over, but it's been a tough road to graduate studies for me. Four years of applications so I guess I was just hoping for some extra funding to take the stress off. But I'm sure it'll be a valuable experience and I will make it through. Thank you again.