Grades in MA program

Hi everyone, 

Wrapping up my second semester in a 2-year MA program (terminal, fully funded), and it looks like I could end the semester with 1 or 2 A minuses, or potentially (but likely/hopefully not) a single B+. Just wondering how big of a deal this is. I know that anything less than an A is generally considered to be less than optimal at the grad level

My first semester in the program went well (4.0 — did a decent seminar paper that I hope to revise this summer) but the second semester has been significantly harder, and I ended up struggling through 2/3 of my seminars papers. Grades aren’t back yet, but (again) I expect 1-2 A minuses and an A, which is fine I guess, but certainly not fantastic. 1 or those A minuses could turn to a B+, but probably not. We’ll see

There are all sorts of mitigating factors that could explain why I’m not doing as well this semester, but I think it basically boils down to poor time management on my part. I’ve just felt burnt out and unmotivated for the last few months, and have let myself off the hook a little bit with some stuff. I could be doing better, but I don’t really feel motivated to do so, and that seems like a serious problem

Obviously, I‘ll wait and see what the grades actually are before I make any decisions, but I’ve absolutely hated this semester and can tell that I’m doing less than exemplary work, which makes me wonder about whether or not I should consider moving on to a PhD after the MA is complete (which was my goal when I first entered the program). Even if I escape this semester with a 4.0 — which is possible, but at this point not likely — I’m still going to be feel defeated and burnt out, and really the thought of doing this for 6-7 more years make me want to quit immediately.

that said, I’m not paying for the degree, and am getting a pretty solid stipend, so I’m not * actually * looking to quit before the start of my second year. Just wondering, basically, how to interpret these grades (how bad is a B+, really? A-?) and am curious to know whether or not this feeling of doom and gloom is normal for first year students. The program has been fully online all year and has involved a lot of (truly, deeply unpleasant) online teaching, which has contributed to my negative experience this semester, but I’m not really sure how much of this is going to change when we go back to in-person next fall 

Also: I am well aware of the dismal job market for PhDs, so no one has any bubble bursting to accomplish there. I know that the possibility of getting into a phd program and then landing a job is unlikely, which, yeah, makes me wonder whether or not it’s worth it given that I already feel slightly washed up. Pretty bummed about this in general

am on a phone, so apologies for typos or weird formatting. tia for any replies 

Personally I don't think it'll matter too much. I have a feeling grades for this past year will be viewed with a little more grace than those of previous years, considering the state of the world. Especially if you get some good recs from faculty in the program for your PhD apps. Good job getting through everything! The first year is always rough but this year has been an entirely different beast.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all! May I ask for your advice on this as well?

I was an international student studying in the U.S. for an MA degree in the past year. My grades were not as good in the American standard as I wished them to be (around 3.7/4.0), partly because I was an international student and I wasn’t used to the educational setting in the U.S.. There was also the factors that I took classes outside my field of studies, and I didn’t even know students could get a 4.0 GPA in their master’s studies (in where I came from, getting a 3.5 GPA is already exceptional. Professors rarely give out A-, let alone As), and students should go visit the professors for discussion often if they want a good grade, and stuff like that. I learned about all these pretty late in my one-year studies, so there was little I could do about it. And I am planning to apply for PhD programs in the U.S. this fall. In my case, should I explain why I didn’t get stellar grades in my statement of purpose/personal statement, or should I not mention it at all and focus on my strengths? Thank you!

I think it depends on the program. If your GPA doesn't meet their GPA requirement for application, yes, explain your grades. If it does, I wouldn't bother mentioning grades. They really aren't all that important, imo.

Thank you for your reply! I think most programs do not have a (stated) GPA requirement. And also, a professor of mine suggested that I shall only focus on my strengths/positive things too. In my last round of application I explained quite a bit on my past failures (I have a long list), and I ended up being rejected by all of my choices (another failure!). I only applied for 5 though, and in different disciplines (some say it's best to apply for 10+ programs?). I guess I will leave out my GPA part this time.