Masters in different field in France -> French PhD in the US

CatchingHumesGhost

Hello all, 

I asked this question in a thread, but I thought that I may get some answers if I post it here, as well. 

I'm from the US, but have been in France the past two years through the TAPIF program. In September, I'm starting a job as a "lecteur d'anglais" at Poitiers University. 

I had to decide between this position and a funded masters at Ole Miss. I was extremely conflicted on that choice, because on one hand, it seemed like I shouldn't give up an oppurtunity to teach in France to study French in the US, while on the otherhand, I feel that with my Bachelors degree, I am lacking in the professional-level, field-specific vernacular that I may need when applying to PhD programs.

Furthermore, while I'm working as a lecteur, it is possible that I could go start masters program. There is a literature program offered at Aix-Marseille University that I could do à distance for the first year, while working. However, the only parcours avaiable would be "Etudes Culturelles - Mondes Anglopones". I would have the chance to choose the time period and subject, but it would be focused on anglophone lit. The program itself is taught in French or English, depending on the professor, while the first mémoire (thesis) is written in French. I would have the freedom to steer coursework and research towards a comparative tint, between French and English. 

Would the fact that the program has an Anglopone leaning be an outright detriment to French PhD applications in the US? It wouldn't really cost me any money to go study there. 

I see that at Brown University, for example, they have PhD students who had masters in English, but these were French nationals, so it may not be seen in the same way. 

Thanks for your time and perspectives!

I seriously doubt it will hurt you. I'm in a German Studies program in which several people have MAs from German institutions. Now, as you note, these are all German nationals, so that's a slightly different situation than yours. But at the end of the day, your application is going to be primarily evaluated on the quality of your writing sample and on how interesting the faculty finds your research interest. Your experience in France will mean that nobody will doubt your language competency, which is a good thing. What you will need to do is produce a strong writing sample and learn how to articulate your research interests in terms that are both interesting and identifiably a part of French studies as that is understood in the American context. But I don't see any reason why you can't achieve those goals in the program you're considering. You may even be able to use your statement of purpose to explain how your comparative studies in France have helped refine your research interests in such a way as to make X program in the US the most logical next step for you. These sorts of arguments are, on the whole, probably less important than your writing sample, but I do think they are good to have. Lastly, I'll just note that there are certainly language/literature PhD programs that admit American students with only a BA. So, since you have a BA in French (I gather), nobody will doubt your credentials because you have *more* education, especially if you can articulate a coherent scholarly narrative for your educational progression.

If you're more interested in the lecteur position and literature program, then I don't see any problem with doing that instead of the US Masters! Like @Glasperlenspieler mentioned, most programs will evaluate you based on your research interests and writing sample. The only thing I would maybe consider is to make sure your credits would transfer to a PhD program so that you won't have to repeat a large portion of the masters. Also, I am someone who was accepted to a PhD program with just a bachelor's, so I can say from firsthand experience that it's possible, it might just take more work and being more varied in your choice of school. I worked for TAPIF for two years and then did another year as an ESL teacher in Seoul, so I guess that does count as valuable experience since almost all programs will require you to be a TA as part of your stipend. But, my research interests and statement of purpose were very important too!

I think either option would make you a strong candidate for PhD programs, so I would just choose whichever one you want to do more.