Preparing for MPH 2022 Canada

This is an amateur question butttt how important is university & program "prestige" for MPH degrees in Canada? Brock's MPH was my first option (due to the virtual offering & 1-year program length) but I'm kinda skeptical as to why it's been rarely discussed on this thread. I apologize if this comes across as condescending lol I'm just genuinely curious.

1 hour ago, HedwigTheFriendlyOwl said:

Ah I see! Did you try emailing them to ask when we could expect to hear back? Maybe you will have better luck than me to get a reply from them 

I was thinking of emailing them on April 1st or 4th since on their website it says that we should have results by April. 

6 minutes ago, ScumpiiBurner said:

This is an amateur question butttt how important is university & program "prestige" for MPH degrees in Canada? Brock's MPH was my first option (due to the virtual offering & 1-year program length) but I'm kinda skeptical as to why it's been rarely discussed on this thread. I apologize if this comes across as condescending lol I'm just genuinely curious.

I think prestige matters less in Canadian than in the US. I think it also depends what you want to do next. If you plan on pursing a Phd you might want to consider a program with a thesis and make sure that the 1 year program meets the criteria needed to be admitted. If you plan on wokring employers are look at your education and experience. Brock still have a practicum so you still get that experience. 

26 minutes ago, ScumpiiBurner said:

I can be quite challenging to rank order programs. There are a lot of factors/variables to consider like duration (12-16-24 months), teaching method (in-person, hybrid, online, practicum, thesis), general/foundational or specialization, local access to co-op and internship resources (public, private and non-profit agencies), alumni network, name recognition, cost, certifications/accreditation's (e.g., CEPH if you want to work in the USA). These factors can be assessed objectively as well as subjectively which entail their own strengths and weaknesses. It would probably cost a lot to thoroughly assess every program annually or even less often for the benefit of the schools/applicants.

I believe this is why it is up to the individual to identify their needs and search for a program that meets those needs. What are you looking to get out of the program? If you don't know maybe a general program is ideal. Once you have an idea, reach out to your network to see what they might recommend. Assess your budget to tuition/cost of living, etc.

Personally, I don't think it matters too much where you go to school as long as you can demonstrate that you have the skills required for whatever job/program you want in the future.

Here is a very recent discussion from Reddit on a subjective assessment of MPH programs in the USA. https://www.reddit.com/r/publichealth/comments/tr2pt8/new_us_news_health_report_rankings/

Edited by Lean

4 hours ago, Dd_mph said:

CHECK YOUR PORTALS!!!!!! BROCK HAS UPDATED PORTALS!! IVE BEEEN ADMITTED!!!!

Congratulations???!!! I’m so happy for you!!?? 

I haven’t received a response yet but I’m going to remain positive and hope for the best outcome! If there isn’t I will apply again next year? 

Just now, K97 said:

Congratulations???!!! I’m so happy for you!!?? 

I haven’t received a response yet but I’m going to remain positive and hope for the best outcome! If there isn’t I will apply again next year? 

What does it say on your portal?

1 hour ago, ScumpiiBurner said:

In the real world, no one cares where u got ur degree. My friend studied brock for MPH and has an amazing job at public health Canada, which she found right after graduation with a starting salary of 100k. So take that ad you will. Have you heard back from brock?

8 minutes ago, Dd_mph said:

In the real world, no one cares where u got ur degree. My friend studied brock for MPH and has an amazing job at public health Canada, which she found right after graduation with a starting salary of 100k. So take that ad you will. Have you heard back from brock?

Cool! I got accepted into Brock's MPH program earlier this morning. Congrats on your acceptance :)

26 minutes ago, Lean said:

Just got UWO offer of admission to the MPH program! I'm a domestic student. Western asks for a $1,000 deposit to hold your spot in the program and are providing until May 14th to decide.

Congrats! Was your status updated in your Student Centre account too?

Hi is Western MPH only in-person or hybrid? What does job opportunities look like after graduating from Western. Got acceptance today but still anxious about the fees and other expenses of moving from Toronto to London. Kindly share insights