Preparing for MPH 2022 Canada

I'm planning on applying to masters programs in Epi/Public health for a fall 2022 start! Currently my list of programs I'm considering includes MPH Epi at UofT (my 1st choice for masters in Canada), MScPH and MSc Epi at McGill (leaning towards MScPH), possibly MSc Epi at uOttawa, and MSc Epi or Control of Infectious Diseases at LSHTM but that's if I can secure enough funding to study abroad.

On 5/14/2021 at 12:21 PM, yeet_sleep_repeat said:

I'm planning on applying to masters programs in Epi/Public health for a fall 2022 start! Currently my list of programs I'm considering includes MPH Epi at UofT (my 1st choice for masters in Canada), MScPH and MSc Epi at McGill (leaning towards MScPH), possibly MSc Epi at uOttawa, and MSc Epi or Control of Infectious Diseases at LSHTM but that's if I can secure enough funding to study abroad.

That's so exciting! What made you decide on U of T and McGill as primary choices? 

On 5/20/2021 at 1:40 AM, SupremeThunder said:

That's so exciting! What made you decide on U of T and McGill as primary choices? 

They're both really great schools with good programs from the research I've done. Also close to home but in a different city which is an important consideration for me. I'm still sorta considering uAlberta for the MSc Epi or Public Health but it would be pretty far. If I'm going to go far from home I kind of want to go all out and have it be to the UK, plus master's programs in the UK are only 1 year long as opposed to 2 here in Canada.

I am currently at odds because I need to complete a statistics course and I am not sure from where to do it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

On 5/27/2021 at 3:21 PM, Shwemih said:

I am currently at odds because I need to complete a statistics course and I am not sure from where to do it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I don't think it matters where you do it, I've heard Athabasca has good online courses, but it's good to look at universities that have spots in stats classes for 'special students' who are just enrolling in one or two courses (assuming you're not currently enrolled in a program at a university). Different schools also have different tuition rates if that's an important consideration for you as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I am an international student. Initially intended applied for MHA fall2021 at Dalhousie University.application was denied. My gre score was low. So i am now applying for MPH at guelph,sfu and Saskatchewan.for fall2022.already applied for guelph.although i got admission to Suffolk university in Boston for MHA and turned it down 

On 5/14/2021 at 12:21 PM, yeet_sleep_repeat said:

Hey! I will be starting this fall with UofT’s Epi program! Feel free to msg if you have any questions regarding the application process :)

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I am an International Medical Graduate from India, done my MBBS here. As I was going through admission requirements of some universities for MPH program there is a requirement for undergraduate statistics course. Do I need to do this course as we have statistics and epidemiology under Community Medicine  in our curriculum? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm currently working in a field relevant to PH and would like to upgrade myself. I'm trying to find an MPH program that would allow online and part time option (as I still want to continue with work). I figured U of Waterloo, Brock and USas have those options... does anyone know if these programs are all very competitive? And also how flexible are these programs (switching from part time to full time, or full time to part time)? How do you feel about learning PH online? Any comments appreciated!! ?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!! I am currently working in the PH field. I am wondering if anyone from previous years would be willing to send me their application - I have read from various forums that this is a helpful way of comparing your applications. Please send me a private message if you can be of assistance ! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 9:09 PM, MtnSeas said:

Hi everyone! I'm currently working in a field relevant to PH and would like to upgrade myself. I'm trying to find an MPH program that would allow online and part time option (as I still want to continue with work). I figured U of Waterloo, Brock and USas have those options... does anyone know if these programs are all very competitive? And also how flexible are these programs (switching from part time to full time, or full time to part time)? How do you feel about learning PH online? Any comments appreciated!! ?

Hi! There are a couple of other course-based programs you didn't list that you could check out for online part time (this is based on my knowledge from searching last year, there's a chance things have changed since then): UAlberta's Health Promotion Distance option, Memorial University if you do part-time can be online, and University of Victoria. I don't know any thesis-based programs, and I don't know if you have any specific topics of interest, but. From my understanding, applying as an online and/or part-time student isn't generally any more or less competitive than applying to that school in general. It differs a little for schools that having specific seating allocations for different streams though (like UAlberta, although Health Promotion Distance is their biggest stream). 

I'm personally finding online to be a bit isolating, as are some of the other kids in my program. I do appreciate not having to go onto campus and risk any COVID spread, and it's nice to have flexibility with work (I work part-time and do school full-time) but it can be more challenging to make connections. How suitable online might be for you depends on what you want out of the program. If you want connections, friends, and tons of networking, being online and part-time might be tougher. If you know where you want to go and this is a means to an end, this is probably the perfect choice. If you're somewhere in the middle, but keeping your job is more important, then online and part time can be a great option!

I'm currently at UAlberta in my first year but applied to a few schools including Waterloo and Memorial, so if you or anyone have any questions about the whole process, feel free to ask!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 1:30 PM, Candycane said:

Hey! I will be starting this fall with UofT’s Epi program! Feel free to msg if you have any questions regarding the application process :)

Hi!! I'm applying for UofT Epi program this cycle! Would you mind me asking about your qualifications, and when did you apply for it and receive the offer? It's much appreciated ?

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! I am hoping to apply for UVic's distance MPH program for fall 2022 entry! I like the remote option for balancing work, but I have a big interest in epidemiology and biostats so I am a little worried I will not get enough exposure to those topics in this program. From the past years on here, I also haven't really seen many posts about this program at uvic so I am worried it's not highly regarded. Anybody have any advice on this? If there's anybody planning to apply to uvic, feel free to message me :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, UofT apps were officially due a bit ago, Western's is up next, and Brock's in a couple of weeks! I've applied to all three, references are all submitted, and now everything is out of my hands. I'm honestly trying to not get my hopes up for any of the schools (especially after reading last year's thread haha) but waiting until March is so tough! Wishing all of my fellow MPH-wanters good luck out there :)

2 hours ago, HedwigTheFriendlyOwl said:

Does anyone know when we expect to hear back from McGill MScPH and MSc in Epidemiology programs? 

Not sure either but looking at previous years, I think the earliest anyone's heard back for MScPH was late Feb! My status just changed to "In Review" so it looks like they're making some progress

1 minute ago, JellyDumpling said:

Not sure either but looking at previous years, I think the earliest anyone's heard back for MScPH was late Feb! My status just changed to "In Review" so it looks like they're making some progress

So I'm getting mixed answers from McGill themselves. One of their faculty profs told me a while back that they plan on sending them early this cycle for the MSc program (mid/late Feb into March). But when I emailed their office they told me it won't be until late March/early April. 

Mine has been "In Review" as well (almost 2 weeks now). Surely it won't take them 2 months from now to make a decision? 

I hate the wait, it makes me so anxious!! 

1 hour ago, HedwigTheFriendlyOwl said:

So I'm getting mixed answers from McGill themselves. One of their faculty profs told me a while back that they plan on sending them early this cycle for the MSc program (mid/late Feb into March). But when I emailed their office they told me it won't be until late March/early April. 

Mine has been "In Review" as well (almost 2 weeks now). Surely it won't take them 2 months from now to make a decision? 

I hate the wait, it makes me so anxious!! 

Oh that's strange... I guess it's better to expect April then so we'll be surprised if we hear back earlier ? But my god yeah, 2 months is a loooong time

I know, the wait sucks! Just need to keep ourselves busy so we don't keep thinking about it (of course that's easier said than done)

47 minutes ago, JellyDumpling said:

Oh that's strange... I guess it's better to expect April then so we'll be surprised if we hear back earlier ? But my god yeah, 2 months is a loooong time

I know, the wait sucks! Just need to keep ourselves busy so we don't keep thinking about it (of course that's easier said than done)

Do you know how many people apply and how many are accepted into the McGill programs? And did you apply to other schools? :D

6 hours ago, HedwigTheFriendlyOwl said:

Do you know how many people apply and how many are accepted into the McGill programs? And did you apply to other schools? :D

I couldn't find any info about that either, but if the MScPH is like any of the MPH programs at other schools, I'd say there are probably 300-600 applicants for 25-45 spots ?

I did! I applied to MPH programs mainly in Ontario (UofT, Queens, Waterloo, etc.). Are you looking at other schools as well?

Recently graduated IMG (International medical graduate) here. Applied to Mac, Alberta and MHSc at UBC. Also applied to UNC Chapel Hill. GPA 3.84. Some epidemiology related first author publications and a couple of poster presentations. Submitted manuscripts and ongoing projects at the moment. Research volunteer for almost three years now. Also TOEFL around 110 if anyone wondering.

My Alberta application is still in "Application Submitted" stage for some reason. Emailed them but didn't get a response. ?