Preparing for MPH 2022 Canada

On 3/1/2022 at 6:05 PM, HedwigTheFriendlyOwl said:

I applied to the MSc in Epi too! Any idea when we’ll hear back? And have you been in contact with any potential supervisors? 

Aha that's awesome! I think we should be able to hear them back around mid/late March or April. I'm so nervous....

I haven't reached out to supervisors. How about you?  

On 3/1/2022 at 3:06 AM, MPH2022CAN said:

Just received an offer from Emory University in MScPH. UofA application is still in pre-screening and MHSc application at UBC is "in progress".

I applied to MSc in OEH at UBC, and my status is still "submitted"?

16 hours ago, TSRGO said:

Aha that's awesome! I think we should be able to hear them back around mid/late March or April. I'm so nervous....

I haven't reached out to supervisors. How about you?  

I ended up reaching out to one potential supervisor while I was applying back in December. He agreed to take me on but there's no guarantees since the program has so limited spots. I really hope we both get in! Is it your top choice? 

FYI I inquired about the number of spots in the Lakehead program and was told, “we accept up to 50 students across both our MHSc and MPH Programs”.

I’m not sure if this is evenly split into each speciality or if some specialities have more spots. Please share if anyone has more insight ?

37 minutes ago, SpiritedAway said:

FYI I inquired about the number of spots in the Lakehead program and was told, “we accept up to 50 students across both our MHSc and MPH Programs”.

I’m not sure if this is evenly split into each speciality or if some specialities have more spots. Please share if anyone has more insight ?

Only 50?!? Yikes ? they told me they typically get over 600 applications. Do you know if this includes online students as well or in-person only?

15 minutes ago, TheTachyNurse said:

Only 50?!? Yikes ? they told me they typically get over 600 applications. Do you know if this includes online students as well or in-person only?

Over 600!!? Ahh I knew it would be competitive but wasn’t expecting that many. 

Sorry I’m not quite sure the breakdown of online vs in-person. They were kind of vague and only said the 50. I had asked about MPH NP spots specifically and they couldn’t tell me as it depends on availability of clinical placements.

On 3/3/2022 at 1:51 PM, HedwigTheFriendlyOwl said:

I ended up reaching out to one potential supervisor while I was applying back in December. He agreed to take me on but there's no guarantees since the program has so limited spots. I really hope we both get in! Is it your top choice? 

Me too, I hope so!!! It's not really my top choice, but it would be awesome if if I can get in?!!!

7 hours ago, MPH2022CAN said:

We should start to see some offers and rejections this week based on the 2021 thread.

Have you applied to university of Alberta? I think they extended their deadline for submission of applications from 15 Dec to 15 Jan. And, I guess that means, late decisions...

42 minutes ago, Riri123 said:

Have you applied to university of Alberta? I think they extended their deadline for submission of applications from 15 Dec to 15 Jan. And, I guess that means, late decisions...

A lot of school extended their deadline this year it seems. Someone in the thread mentioned that it might mean there were significantly less applicants this year. I'm really not too sure why.

3 minutes ago, HedwigTheFriendlyOwl said:

A lot of school extended their deadline this year it seems. Someone in the thread mentioned that it might mean there were significantly less applicants this year. I'm really not too sure why.

Yea! In my opinion the number of applicants should have increased. This wait is mentally exhausting! 

17 hours ago, SpiritedAway said:

Over 600!!? Ahh I knew it would be competitive but wasn’t expecting that many. 

Sorry I’m not quite sure the breakdown of online vs in-person. They were kind of vague and only said the 50. I had asked about MPH NP spots specifically and they couldn’t tell me as it depends on availability of clinical placements.

I guess we will see - at this point I feel defeated ? I think the waiting burn-out has finally caught up to me

39 minutes ago, Riri123 said:

Yea! In my opinion the number of applicants should have increased. This wait is mentally exhausting! 

45 minutes ago, HedwigTheFriendlyOwl said:

8 hours ago, MPH2022CAN said:

We should start to see some offers and rejections this week based on the 2021 thread.

I think we still will start seeing this week considering so many other schools have started to send them out. I don't think they can keep pushing back dates just because they extended the deadlines, just because they need to give students enough time to make arrangements, especially if they need to move to attend school or arrange things with work. At least that is my point of view, but WHO EVEN KNOWS ANYMORE ?

45 minutes ago, TheTachyNurse said:

I guess we will see - at this point I feel defeated ? I think the waiting burn-out has finally caught up to me

I feel you. It looks like a few people were accepted in May on last year’s forum though so I’m trying to hold onto hope!

On 2/21/2022 at 7:02 PM, TheTachyNurse said:

I was thinking this as well! Both schools I applied to extended their deadlines for applications. I wonder if there was an extremely low number of applicants all around. I work in Public Health right now and I feel like many people are fearful to say they currently work in PH because of the hostile environment the pandemic has caused, so I would not be surprised if that deferred a lot of people's interests. ?

a few schools I applied pushed back their deadline after I submitted my applications. My references think its because of low application rates

5 hours ago, emmpollard said:

a few schools I applied pushed back their deadline after I submitted my applications. My references think its because of low application rates

Where all have you applied? And which all schools have pushed back their deadlines? I just know of uAlberta.

6 hours ago, Riri123 said:

Where all have you applied? And which all schools have pushed back their deadlines? I just know of uAlberta.

I applied to UofA and Lakehead.

Lakeheads application was supposed to open already in October and it didn’t open until November. Then the deadline was set for January 31st and the last week the extended it to middle of February.

I strongly believe enrolment was low most places hence the push back for a few weeks which is frustrating when you have had your applications submitted since November ?