Preparing for MPH 2022 Canada

On 2/9/2022 at 1:25 PM, Tashacold said:

I applied to Lakehead’s nursing specialization! Mine has been under review as well. 

I’ve also applied to the Lakehead MPH program! Nursing specialization with nurse practitioner electives. My application is under review still. I’m anxiously awaiting news haha.

I haven’t been able to find too much about this stream online. I love the idea of the MPH NP combo and there aren’t too many other programs where you can do both in Canada (that I’ve seen). 
Good luck to both of you!

8 hours ago, SpiritedAway said:

I’ve also applied to the Lakehead MPH program! Nursing specialization with nurse practitioner electives. My application is under review still. I’m anxiously awaiting news haha.

I haven’t been able to find too much about this stream online. I love the idea of the MPH NP combo and there aren’t too many other programs where you can do both in Canada (that I’ve seen). 
Good luck to both of you!

Amazing! I wish you luck! I did not do the NP stream, it retrospect I should have applied for both MPH NP and MPH Nursing but I was so nervous since the majority of my nursing career has been in PH and not acute care. What is your CV like for nursing? ?

On 2/22/2022 at 10:34 PM, TheTachyNurse said:

Amazing! I wish you luck! I did not do the NP stream, it retrospect I should have applied for both MPH NP and MPH Nursing but I was so nervous since the majority of my nursing career has been in PH and not acute care. What is your CV like for nursing? ?

Thank you! I’m currently working in a Public Health Nurse role that focuses on Indigenous Communities in Northern Ontario. I’ve only been in this role for about a year and previously did remote nursing and acute care. I’m still casual in a rural hospital so I get a nice mix of skills.

I did an accelerated BScN (2 years) and had a previous degree (BSc bio and psyc) before that, so I’m not sure how they’ll calculate my GPA. I did a lot of stats and research work in my previous degree, so I’m hoping that helps my application. 
How about you? ? 

5 hours ago, SpiritedAway said:

Thank you! I’m currently working in a Public Health Nurse role that focuses on Indigenous Communities in Northern Ontario. I’ve only been in this role for about a year and previously did remote nursing and acute care. I’m still casual in a rural hospital so I get a nice mix of skills.

I did an accelerated BScN (2 years) and had a previous degree (BSc bio and psyc) before that, so I’m not sure how they’ll calculate my GPA. I did a lot of stats and research work in my previous degree, so I’m hoping that helps my application. 
How about you? ? 

Amazing! We are in a similar boat.

I have a BSc in Kinesiology and an accelerated BScN. I've been in PH a little over 2 years now, I previously dabbled in ortho-trauma but PH is my passion. No research background but lots of community volunteer experience, doing outreach within the community, mental health and sexual health. I also was a supervisor at one of the mass immunization clinics for COVID-19 within the greater Toronto area which was a cool experience. Because I have been out of acute care for almost 3 years it has discouraged me from seeking an NP as I know they want you to still have somewhat of a knowledge base.

Does your lakehead application say under review? Mine changed a couple weeks back to under review and my UofA one just changed today to under review....keeping my fingers crossed!

21 hours ago, TheTachyNurse said:

Amazing! We are in a similar boat.

I have a BSc in Kinesiology and an accelerated BScN. I've been in PH a little over 2 years now, I previously dabbled in ortho-trauma but PH is my passion. No research background but lots of community volunteer experience, doing outreach within the community, mental health and sexual health. I also was a supervisor at one of the mass immunization clinics for COVID-19 within the greater Toronto area which was a cool experience. Because I have been out of acute care for almost 3 years it has discouraged me from seeking an NP as I know they want you to still have somewhat of a knowledge base.

Does your lakehead application say under review? Mine changed a couple weeks back to under review and my UofA one just changed today to under review....keeping my fingers crossed!

Wow that’s awesome, you sound like a strong candidate! It’s so great to hear that you’ve found your passion in public health! 
If you ever decide to do your NP afterwards, you could always do a post-masters program ? there’s been more NPs working in a public health scope and that what I’m hoping to do. I have to get in first though haha. 
Yes mine also says “under department review”

5 hours ago, MPH2022CAN said:

Just received an offer from Emory University in MScPH. UofA application is still in pre-screening and MHSc application at UBC is "in progress".

Congrats!!

UofA is killing me. Mine switched to under review last week but I have a feeling nothing will change until late this month.

7 minutes ago, Riri123 said:

When are the acceptances/rejections expected to start rolling out? Looking at last year's group, I believe it was around mid-March? And SFU was the first to declare results, right?

Well it looks like McMaster is sending out offers right now.

5 hours ago, Popcorn21 said:

Did anyone apply to UofT for their health promotion stream? If yes, what does their status say? Mine still says "submitted". And good luck to everyone!!

Mine also says submitted. Based on last year's thread, it seems like they send out decisions around early-mid April.