Preparing for MPH 2022 Canada

11 hours ago, JellyDumpling said:

I couldn't find any info about that either, but if the MScPH is like any of the MPH programs at other schools, I'd say there are probably 300-600 applicants for 25-45 spots ?

I did! I applied to MPH programs mainly in Ontario (UofT, Queens, Waterloo, etc.). Are you looking at other schools as well?

I only applied to two schools for a total of four programs: 

- McGill MScPH (top choice) 

- McGill MSc in Epidemiology

- UofT MPH: Epidemiology

- UofT MPH: Occupational and Environmental Health 

I already received an interview for the UofT MPH: OEH program, which means I'm at least competitive but they only take 15 students. I'm hoping my interest in environmental health will give me somewhat of an advantage, since there aren't many people in that field. Seems like a lot of people want infectious disease or global health these days... 

11 hours ago, MPH2022CAN said:

Recently graduated IMG (International medical graduate) here. Applied to Mac, Alberta and MHSc at UBC. Also applied to UNC Chapel Hill. GPA 3.84. Some epidemiology related first author publications and a couple of poster presentations. Submitted manuscripts and ongoing projects at the moment. Research volunteer for almost three years now. Also TOEFL around 110 if anyone wondering.

My Alberta application is still in "Application Submitted" stage for some reason. Emailed them but didn't get a response. ?

hey! Sounds like you have a lot of direct experience in the field! I come from a biology background, so my experience in research is more life sciences/environmental sciences with stats oriented.. but I hope that will still count as relevant experience given that I want to go into environmental epidemiology. No first author pubs though ? 

Hope you get in! 

1 hour ago, HedwigTheFriendlyOwl said:

hey! Sounds like you have a lot of direct experience in the field! I come from a biology background, so my experience in research is more life sciences/environmental sciences with stats oriented.. but I hope that will still count as relevant experience given that I want to go into environmental epidemiology. No first author pubs though ? 

Hope you get in! 

Thanks. You too!

I've got to be honest with you, international applicants don't have a lot of chance getting in. Most seats at Canadian universities are reserved for domestic applicants. That's why you see 300-400 applicants applying for MPH at McGill, yet only 30-40 getting accepted. A good portion of these applicants are international. If I remember correctly, acceptance rate for domestic applicants is around 30 to 50% while for international applicants it's only 10% or even less. I didn't apply to McGill or UofT, because frankly, I didn't think I would get in. These were WAY too competitive for internationals.

Edited by MPH2022CAN

4 hours ago, MPH2022CAN said:

Thanks. You too!

I've got to be honest with you, international applicants don't have a lot of chance getting in. Most seats at Canadian universities are reserved for domestic applicants. That's why you see 300-400 applicants applying for MPH at McGill, yet only 30-40 getting accepted. A good portion of these applicants are international. If I remember correctly, acceptance rate for domestic applicants is around 30 to 50% while for international applicants it's only 10% or even less. I didn't apply to McGill or UofT, because frankly, I didn't think I would get in. These were WAY too competitive for internationals.

Oh I didn't know about this, I thought the acceptance rate was 10% or so for ALL applicants. It's confusing though, McGill seems to get a lot less applicants than other schools. Maybe I heard wrong, but a McGill prof told me that they only receive about 100 applicants a year for the MSc program. 

I really hope we all hear back soon. I can't believe it's going to take 2-3 months for a decision, despite our file already being in review. 

12 hours ago, HedwigTheFriendlyOwl said:

I only applied to two schools for a total of four programs: 

- McGill MScPH (top choice) 

- McGill MSc in Epidemiology

- UofT MPH: Epidemiology

- UofT MPH: Occupational and Environmental Health 

I already received an interview for the UofT MPH: OEH program, which means I'm at least competitive but they only take 15 students. I'm hoping my interest in environmental health will give me somewhat of an advantage, since there aren't many people in that field. Seems like a lot of people want infectious disease or global health these days... 

Hey! can you share your stats? When did you get the invitation for an interview and when did you do it?

14 minutes ago, Sendica said:

Hey! can you share your stats? When did you get the invitation for an interview and when did you do it?

Hey! Sure. My cGPA was 3.85 / 4.00 and my final year GPA (the one UofT uses) was a 3.98 / 4.00. 

I was in biology, did couple years of research related to environmental sciences, and took a few stats/coding courses. Some relevant experiences outside of uni too, but nothing crazy. :)

I got the call from UofT for an interview just last week. I haven't had it yet! 

Edited by HedwigTheFriendlyOwl

2 minutes ago, HedwigTheFriendlyOwl said:

Hey! Sure. My cGPA was 3.85 / 4.00 and my final year GPA (the one UofT uses) was a 3.98 / 4.00. 

I was in biology, did couple years of research related to environmental sciences, and took a few stats/coding courses. Some relevant experiences outside of uni too, but nothing crazy. :)

I got the call from UofT for an interview just last week. I haven't had it yet! 

Thanks for sharing :)I hope the interview goes well for you, and you get into your first choice at McGill. 

Hello! Has anyone else submitted their application to UWaterloo and under status it reads “application”? I didn’t get any confirmation that my application was complete once I submitted all of my documents. I thought it might change once the application deadline passed but it could be as the reviewers go through each application. If anyone can provide any clarification that would be great! Thanks in advance :)

Hello!

Anyone else apply to UofA Health Promotion for part-time online and/or Lakehead MPH with specialization in Nursing?

I'd be lying if I said that I haven't been checking my applications daily for status updates.

UofA still in pre-screening since November *sigh*, but Lakehead updated this week to Under Review since submitting it mid January!

15 hours ago, TheTachyNurse said:

Hello!

Anyone else apply to UofA Health Promotion for part-time online and/or Lakehead MPH with specialization in Nursing?

I'd be lying if I said that I haven't been checking my applications daily for status updates.

UofA still in pre-screening since November *sigh*, but Lakehead updated this week to Under Review since submitting it mid January!

I applied to Lakehead’s nursing specialization! Mine has been under review as well. 

16 hours ago, TheTachyNurse said:

Hello!

Pre-screening? Lol, mine still says "application submitted"!

Hi! If you are interested in applying for the uOttawa Master of Public Health Program program (deadline: February 28th), please visit the MPH Student Experience Committee (SEC) pages on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

@MPH_SEC_uOttawa

(Disclaimer: we will not be actively monitoring Gradcafe and the views of MPH SEC are our own).

On 2/10/2022 at 12:03 AM, MPH2022CAN said:

Pre-screening? Lol, mine still says "application submitted"!

Ok mine moved to pre-screening. Based on the MPH 2021 thread, we should expect to see admission offers in March. Also some people moved straight from pre-screening to acceptance or rejection. Health Promotion offers come first.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:34 PM, MPH2022CAN said:

Ok mine moved to pre-screening. Based on the MPH 2021 thread, we should expect to see admission offers in March. Also some people moved straight from pre-screening to acceptance or rejection. Health Promotion offers come first.

Interesting, I was reading through 2021 and 2020 and HPro went out as early as mid-Feb! Hopefully some news coming our way these next few weeks.

1 hour ago, HedwigTheFriendlyOwl said:

I'm curious to know why the forums are so quiet this year. Previous years there were MPH forums with hundreds of people and thousands of posts. I'm not sure what happened this year, it seems like everyone just disappeared. Are there less applicants this year??? 

I was thinking this as well! Both schools I applied to extended their deadlines for applications. I wonder if there was an extremely low number of applicants all around. I work in Public Health right now and I feel like many people are fearful to say they currently work in PH because of the hostile environment the pandemic has caused, so I would not be surprised if that deferred a lot of people's interests. ?

32 minutes ago, TheTachyNurse said:

I was thinking this as well! Both schools I applied to extended their deadlines for applications. I wonder if there was an extremely low number of applicants all around. I work in Public Health right now and I feel like many people are fearful to say they currently work in PH because of the hostile environment the pandemic has caused, so I would not be surprised if that deferred a lot of people's interests. ?

That’s super interesting. Mcgill and UofT didn’t extend their deadlines so I had no idea about that. I want to go into environmental epi rather than pure public health like pandemic stuff. Hopefully that stays a relevant and growing field in the future, ?

Well the DrPH thread is very active but this thread is not for some reason. I know that US MPH applicants are mostly posting on reddit though (r/mphadmissions) and that subreddit is fairly active.

Edited by MPH2022CAN

13 hours ago, MPH2022CAN said:

Well the DrPH thread is very active but this thread is not for some reason. I know that US MPH applicants are mostly posting on reddit though (r/mphadmissions) and that subreddit is fairly active.

Wild! I keep telling myself that I won't look up my application status until I am notified that they have made a decision, but it is just too hard to resist. And I do not know what would be worse, having an active forum where so many people are posting about their applications changing/results or having these dead forums and being almost completely in the dark when things start rolling out.

1 hour ago, TheTachyNurse said:

Wild! I keep telling myself that I won't look up my application status until I am notified that they have made a decision, but it is just too hard to resist. And I do not know what would be worse, having an active forum where so many people are posting about their applications changing/results or having these dead forums and being almost completely in the dark when things start rolling out.

I think we will start hearing back from schools this week up until mid March. It's usually a 2 or 3-week phase.