Quick Question

moogster

It could depend on whether your program has a reputation for giving harsh grades, but in all honestly no it probably will not matter.

I remember being nervous about this, and made sure to generate my official transcripts before grades were entered during the semester when I was applying. So that's an option to cut down on how many grades an adcomm will see.

• 1 year later...

To anyone on here who has experience with the admission process for philosophy PhD applications - Is the ranking of an applicant's undergraduate college/university a considerable factor for reviewers? Will an undergraduate who studies philosophy at a college/university that is not highly ranked at philosophy have trouble getting into a well-ranked graduate school, simply by virtue of his undergraduate school's low rank?

On 3/9/2023 at 10:08 PM, ocasaenva said:

To anyone on here who has experience with the admission process for philosophy PhD applications - Is the ranking of an applicant's undergraduate college/university a considerable factor for reviewers https://19216801.onl/ ? Will an undergraduate who studies philosophy at a college/university that is not highly ranked at philosophy have trouble getting into a well-ranked graduate school, simply by virtue of his undergraduate school's low rank?

i got this

Edited by ocasaenva

The PhD rankings are not undergraduate degree rankings. They don't necessarily match up (in fact, I'd be surprised if most top PhD programs really were the best places for an UG education). There's old evidence of prestige bias in tip-top program admissions, but it's not known how or whether things have changed. But this isn't something you can control. Just apply and see what happens.