Relocating during Covid

chelsreid

hey all,

I was accepted to Western University in Ontario and up until a few days ago, my plan was to move across country this summer. I saw they announced earlier this week that public schools will be online, but no university has declared anything. For those relocating for school, are you waiting until you find out whether it’s face to face? Would you move anyway? Or, for those that did their MA in counselling during Covid, how was that experience?

I’ve emailed the school and they said that they have no clue what it will look like at this point. The issue is I wouldn’t be able to move during late fall because of all the snow... any advice is welcome!

• 7 months later...
On 5/7/2021 at 9:09 PM, chelsreid said:

hey all,

I was accepted to Western University in Ontario and up until a few days ago, my plan was to move across country this summer. I saw they announced earlier this week that public schools will be online, but no university has declared anything. For those relocating for school, are you waiting until you find out whether it’s face to face? Would you move anyway? Or, for those that did their MA in counselling during Covid, how was that experience?

I’ve emailed the school and they said that they have no clue what it will look like at this point. The issue is I wouldn’t be able to move during late fall because of all the snow... any advice is welcome!

So I can see that I'm half a year late to this thread, and I'm sure you've made a decision, but for others, I have at least a bit of thoughts. I'm close with a lot of professors in my department, so I've been able to hear the faculty/admin discussions about all of this. We're in Hawai'i and have a major element in our university system about being a Hawaiian place of learning (of course, debate abounds over how faithful the admin is to this, but the point stands). Because of this and the improving COVID situation (though Hawai'i is not doing so hot now), there is a lot of talk about living requirements and a large push for students (and ESPECIALLY faculty, including PhD student teachers) to live in Hawai'i. I'm not sure how other universities will handle this, but I don't doubt they're similarly considering living situations and feeling antsy about keeping the university community a somewhat loosely organized physical community. 

NOW that's only one side of the story at one university, but maybe that will give a bit of insight into the climate that might be faced in the university system surrounding locale and relocation.