Send potential adviser paper?

coped

So, here is my dilemma. I emailed a very big-name professor in my field for ideas about sources related to my topic. He e-mailed back within a day, saying he knows of few sources, but says he thinks it's an excellent topic and I should be encouraged because it is original. I am drafting a grateful response but I would like to keep the conversation going. I would like to get my work in front of him, but I'm worried that sending the paper would be presumptuous or in bad form. Thoughts? Suggestions?

So, here is my dilemma. I emailed a very big-name professor in my field for ideas about sources related to my topic. He e-mailed back within a day, saying he knows of few sources, but says he thinks it's an excellent topic and I should be encouraged because it is original. I am drafting a grateful response but I would like to keep the conversation going. I would like to get my work in front of him, but I'm worried that sending the paper would be presumptuous or in bad form. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Reply with a brief synopsis in your reply e-mail, and if he responds again in a decent amount of detail offer to send it to him, but be sure to give him and out, so he doesn't feel obligated or anything. I am trying to put a paper of mine in front of a professor who is tops in my sub-sub field, and this has been my approach.

In my two experiences with this, both professors asked me to mail or bring paper copies of the papers. They didn't want them emailed. So, definitely do what Riotbeard suggested, but also ask whether they'd prefer a hard copy instead of an electronic copy.

I also have experience with this. And the professor asked me to email him the paper. But he specifically asked for it to be emailed, but only after several months of correspondence. Certainly ask if they would like to see it when you are done.

Be choosy. Be very wary about anyone who wants a copy of your paper. This doesn't just happen in the sciences but in the humanities as well that professors will steal unpublished papers and turn them into their own. If the professor's very close to your field, there's no reason to send in a paper. Show him your bibliography. That's it. If he wants to write it, he'll have to do all the research. But if this professor happens to be a friend of your adviser, ask your adviser about this. It'll be harder for the professor to mess up if your adviser is in the loop in some form.

At this point, send in your bib and a sketch of what you're thinking of doing with those sources and your main argument. Wait for his reply. You can have a discussion based on the sources and evidence found. Keep the conversation even. You offer some analysis. He bounces back with some thoughts of his own. You respond. Play fair.