MFT to PHD?

newhere27

Hello, I am currently an MS MFT student and I want to apply for PhD programs in Counseling Psychology, not clinical. Unfortunately, when I started the MFT program I did not think I would want to go this route so I was not prepping with research.  I am trying to gauge how important research is for a counseling psych phd and if there is any chance I could get into the programs at Columbia, NYU, Fordham without research? I will have a 3.9 GPA from my masters, have not taken my GRE yet. Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Whether clinical or counseling, either PhD program will require some research experience. I would see if there is any way you can get involved with research and at least presenting a few posters at conferences. If you are aiming for NYC-based programs, know that those tend to be more competitive just because they get SO many applicants because many people want to live in NYC. You may need to take an extra year or so to accumulate enough research experience to be competitive.