Comp. Lit. programs language requirement

Hello all. I'm interested in applying for comparative literature PhD programs in the U.S., and have been researching on them for a while. Partly it is because of the programs' focus on critical theories, which is my interest and strength, and partly because most of the work I've done so far involves more than one language (I have a BA in translation, and have many experiences in translation.) I was wondering, in general, how fluent the programs expect of the applicants in the three languages at the time of application? I emailed some of the programs about my question, and they only vaguely replied that students can continue learning the languages during their studies. I'm, however, worried that they might not even consider my application in the first place, if my language fluencies do not meet their unstated requirement. I'm mostly worried about my third/fourth language, but then again I don't want to apply for English programs (for many reasons - if any of you are interested I can list them below). I asked my professors about this too, but they were not too willing to answer this question (as they are not quite in a position to answer questions for other programs - I didn't do my MA in comp. lit. unfortunately) Could anyone in the comp. lit. programs kindly give me some advice on this? Thank you very much!

The Phd program requirements I have reviewed did not state a need for fluency upon application for 3 languages for comp lit so I think you may be over-stressing about that, but you may be looking at programs that require that. What programs were you looking at specifically?

It's true that none of the programs that I looked at require students to be fluent in three languages at admission. Some of these programs are:

Johns Hopkins' program in Comparative Thought and Literature expects students to enter "with an adequate knowledge of the history of at least one national literature as well as literary theory" and "by the end of their third year, students must possess advanced knowledge of at least two foreign languages" (https://krieger.jhu.edu/compthoughtlit/wp-content/uploads/sites/87/2018/11/CTL-Graduate-Program-Handbook.pdf

For Northwestern's Comparative Literary Studies program, "a secondary language requires only a single level of examination; this requirement is met through a reading exam, administered by the language department." (https://complit.northwestern.edu/graduate/requirements.html#language-requirement)

Yale's Film and Media Studies program (combined program with comp. lit.) requires "excellent English and one other language at admission" and "an additional research-related language" (https://filmstudies.yale.edu/graduate/regulations-and-requirements-combined-degrees/combined-phd-comparative-literature-and-film)

Duke's Literature program "requires competency in at least two languages other than English.  Admission to the Program requires some indication that one foreign language has been acquired prior to arrival and that plans have been made with regard to a second one." (https://literature.duke.edu/graduate/language-requirement)

Students in Cornell's Comparative Literature program "should have a good reading knowledge of the languages of choice; this involves at least two foreign languages, since one may be English ... Many of our students develop language skills on campus during the academic year (through upper-level seminars, foreign language reading courses, or more informal tutorials) or abroad, during the summer." (https://complit.cornell.edu/graduate#requirements)

But this leads to another question: how competent the students are expected to be in these languages (and in my case, in the third/fourth language) by the time they take their foreign language exams? Is B2 level (CEFR level) good enough? And another question is, how big of an improvement in a foreign language, given that the student is still living in the English-speaking U.S., can we possibly make in 2 or 3 years? And how difficult it would be to pass the foreign language exam (I have heard that some of the programs are pretty lenient about this, but I don't want to underestimate the situation)? 

Thank you again to everyone who reads my posts and answers my questions!

I'm currently a PhD student in comparative literature, and I'm familiar with many of the programs you are looking into. First thing first: no one, not even Stanford (which takes languages most seriously among programs I applied to), will require you to be fluent in three languages when you enter. Programs like Duke and JHU are really critical theory programs (in fact, JHU's program was recently renamed. It used to be the Humanities Center), so language is not the emphasis either during admissions or during the program. It's the philosophy/theory work that counts, and they'll be happy if you're fluent in a second language with solid reading knowledge of third/fourth by the time you defend. In general with comp lit programs, you are expected to start working on one non-English literature as soon as you enter, and have some background to build on for your third, fourth, fifth...languages. One thing you'll notice is that comp lit people love learning languages, so it's actually hard to NOT end up fulfilling the language requirements one way or another. I'm using a language I don't really use for research for my second language just because it's the easiest paperwork-wise, and I know other people in my department sometimes do similar things. (Turns out it's difficult for an institution to verify you can read a language with only five living native speakers. Who would've thought.)

You generally have two to three years to pass the language requirement, and for many languages, that's more than enough time (especially if you make good use of summer breaks) to go from elementary to high-intermediate. The "hard requirement" that you need to fill sometime in year two or three is usually much lower than full/native proficiency, and will vary depending on the language. For my institution, there's an exam where you read and summarize a scholarly article in the language within a fairly generous timeframe and with a dictionary. You can also fulfill the requirement by taking a class that reads literature in that language (and depending on the language, the class might even be conducted in English).

You'll also continue improving your main languages after passing the requirement throughout your dissertating period, which often involves spending a significant amount of time abroad. Because of this built-in space for improvement, your department will allow some imperfections in your main languages early in the program/during admission.

Because all this, if you have substantial background in one foreign language and are prepared to continue studying other languages throughout your program, language should not be a barrier during admissions. They put a lot more importance on other factors. This might be why people are "vague" about language requirements when you asked: the understanding is as long as you demonstrate aptitude and have some sort of plan, they'll help you get your languages once you're in. Hope this helps, and I'm happy to say more about comp lit programs - just send DM me. 

On 6/5/2021 at 2:42 AM, EM51413 said:

I'm currently a PhD student in comparative literature, and I'm familiar with many of the programs you are looking into. First thing first: no one, not even Stanford (which takes languages most seriously among programs I applied to), will require you to be fluent in three languages when you enter. Programs like Duke and JHU are really critical theory programs (in fact, JHU's program was recently renamed. It used to be the Humanities Center), so language is not the emphasis either during admissions or during the program. It's the philosophy/theory work that counts, and they'll be happy if you're fluent in a second language with solid reading knowledge of third/fourth by the time you defend. In general with comp lit programs, you are expected to start working on one non-English literature as soon as you enter, and have some background to build on for your third, fourth, fifth...languages. One thing you'll notice is that comp lit people love learning languages, so it's actually hard to NOT end up fulfilling the language requirements one way or another. I'm using a language I don't really use for research for my second language just because it's the easiest paperwork-wise, and I know other people in my department sometimes do similar things. (Turns out it's difficult for an institution to verify you can read a language with only five living native speakers. Who would've thought.)

You generally have two to three years to pass the language requirement, and for many languages, that's more than enough time (especially if you make good use of summer breaks) to go from elementary to high-intermediate. The "hard requirement" that you need to fill sometime in year two or three is usually much lower than full/native proficiency, and will vary depending on the language. For my institution, there's an exam where you read and summarize a scholarly article in the language within a fairly generous timeframe and with a dictionary. You can also fulfill the requirement by taking a class that reads literature in that language (and depending on the language, the class might even be conducted in English).

You'll also continue improving your main languages after passing the requirement throughout your dissertating period, which often involves spending a significant amount of time abroad. Because of this built-in space for improvement, your department will allow some imperfections in your main languages early in the program/during admission.

Because all this, if you have substantial background in one foreign language and are prepared to continue studying other languages throughout your program, language should not be a barrier during admissions. They put a lot more importance on other factors. This might be why people are "vague" about language requirements when you asked: the understanding is as long as you demonstrate aptitude and have some sort of plan, they'll help you get your languages once you're in. Hope this helps, and I'm happy to say more about comp lit programs - just send DM me. 

Thank you very much for your detailed reply! I mean it - I've had this question for so long and it's finally answered. My plan to apply for comp. lit. programs (over English programs) is exactly because of their emphasis on philosophy / critical theories and Duke and JHU's programs sound ideal. English is in fact my second language, but I've got C2 level (8.0/9.0 on IELTS) hence am not too worried. I'll work harder on my German and hopefully get into one of these programs next year. All the best to your studies too!