Changing MA programs mid-way?

AkraticAgent

I'll be starting a terminal MA program in Canada this Fall. However, the funding package I've been offered is barely enough to get by (apparently there were hidden tuition costs that I wasn't aware of which brought the actual money I get substantially lower than the amount on paper). I could possibly defer this year and reapply to other MA programs but I'd much rather not waste the whole year. So I'm thinking of reapplying to other MA and PhD programs during the first semester of my current MA and then transferring programs if I have any luck. My question is whether this is even possible. If it is, would other programs look negatively at my decision to switch programs?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 1:40 PM, AkraticAgent said:

I'll be starting a terminal MA program in Canada this Fall. However, the funding package I've been offered is barely enough to get by (apparently there were hidden tuition costs that I wasn't aware of which brought the actual money I get substantially lower than the amount on paper). I could possibly defer this year and reapply to other MA programs but I'd much rather not waste the whole year. So I'm thinking of reapplying to other MA and PhD programs during the first semester of my current MA and then transferring programs if I have any luck. My question is whether this is even possible. If it is, would other programs look negatively at my decision to switch programs?

Most funded MA programs in philosophy have low funding. Mine paid me something like $8000/year USD. Unless you're totally unfunded or your program is particularly mediocre, I doubt that it's worth trying to transfer to another MA. Don't forget that you need to get letters to apply out, and you'll only have been at your program for a couple of months before needing to start the application process. It's tough to get good letters, because you won't have even written anything for anyone yet. My advice: tighten your belt, cut your expenses, and apply in your second year. Your application will be stronger then, and you can focus on applying to PhD programs.

I had to borrow a little bit in government student loans to make ends meet both years of my MA. It's something to avoid if you can, but something to consider as well as an option if necessary. If you do take out student loans, my advice is to keep them as small as possible. Some students in my MA department also worked part-time, so depending on how demanding your TA duties are, that's an option. A couple of nights a week bartending, waiting tables, or the like can go a long way.