MPP/MPA/MAIR/MAIA??

Dear all,

I am working on research and visits to possible grad schools for the fall of 2011. I currently live and work in Indonesia so I need to get a lot of the ground work done this summer while I am Stateside. I am struggling with a few things. I am not sure which programs best fit my interests. I am applying to MPP's, MPA's MAIR's and MAIA's. Basically I want practical training in management and policy while focusing on the content of International affairs, human security, and Southeast Asia. I am currently looking at 9 programs and schools, and while each program seems to fill a few of my interests, I cannot find one that seems to encompass them all. Does anyone have any insight or recommendations for me as I decide between the following schools: SIS, SAIS, GW, U of Chicago, U of M, Tufts, Harvard, Princeton, Syracuse. I don't want to apply to all of them, but I want to be safe as well. I also need to get some funding, and I don't know which of these schools are more likely to give funding. I do not have steller GRE scores but I have a high GPA, 3 years of work experience, language fluency, etc... Any advice? I know I could do a lot of the same jobs, being educated from any of these schools. The programs are so similar. However, I want to also choose a school that wants me, will value me, and will invest in me as a student. I want a reputable program, but have it small enough to care about it's individual students.

• 2 weeks later...

Syracuse has the #1 MPA program in the country and a top 10 MAIR program. This summer the two programs are moving into the same office space to further integrate the two and to "internationalize the MPA program". About 20% of the incoming class already are dual MAIR/MPA students, I anticipate this to increase with this new push to internationalize the MPA program.

International affairs, security, Southeast Asia... Go to SAIS. Fletcher might also be good in combining these areas too. GWU and GPPI are good schools that often offer decent funding, not sure about Southeast Asia though. SIPA may also suit you, but funding from SIPA itself is a rather meager. My best advice to try and get better funding is to raise that GRE score. I have no idea what you have, so it may not be necessary. Anyways, good luck!

• 2 months later...

Syracuse has the #1 MPA program in the country and a top 10 MAIR program. This summer the two programs are moving into the same office space to further integrate the two and to "internationalize the MPA program". About 20% of the incoming class already are dual MAIR/MPA students, I anticipate this to increase with this new push to internationalize the MPA program.

Thanks for the advice. I visited the schools this summer and am now back in Indonesia, working on my apps. Visiting shed a lot of light on the schools. I was not attracted to the DC schools because they are all night programs. I want to focus on school, not trying to work, study, and climb the ladder of success. That seems to be the goal in DC and I don't want to be in that atmosphere quite yet. I enjoyed Tufts a lot, however they have weak regional studies. I was also surprised that none of the schools offered any religion studies concentrations. How can you study international affairs without studying religion? I don't understand this. I asked every school this question and they all just stared at me. Anyone have any advice on how to find a school that includes this element? I have only found it at the Unviersity of Washington, Jackson School. Thanks!

I was also surprised that none of the schools offered any religion studies concentrations. How can you study international affairs without studying religion? I don't understand this. I asked every school this question and they all just stared at me. Anyone have any advice on how to find a school that includes this element? I have only found it at the Unviersity of Washington, Jackson School. Thanks!

Not exactly a professional school but Boston University has a Master of Arts in International Relations & Religion program. You may want to take a look at this: http://www.bu.edu/ir/graduate/programs/irrn/

• 1 month later...

Should I be concerned that Boston is not part of APSIA? I like the religion and IR program, but I don't want to attend a school that is considered less than other IR schools I could go to. Why is it that so many schools do not offer religion courses? Is economics all that matters in IR? I am just disappointed that I cannot find IR programs that offer even a concentration in religion. anyways...back to the applications...thanks for the help! I think I have narrowed it down to applying to American, SAIS, U of M, Tufts, Princeton, Syracuse, U of Chicago...and one back up school...maybe U of Pitt or U of Denver... Does anyone else second guess themselves every day about what schools they are applying to?

• 4 months later...

I think you bring up a really good point-- how can all these Master's programs in International Affairs not have courses in religion? I know that U of Denver offers a course, "Great Books of the Middle East" which includes "Islam & Modernity," among other books related to Islam (but that is not the course's main objective). I agree, it would be nice to take a religions class that sort of covered the basics of the world's most popular world religions to better understand why nations behave the way they do, especially if their political elite follow so closely to any scriptures (and if they have any grotesque interpretations of such).

I, myself, have applied to Univ. of Miami, perhaps mainly because I live in Miami and if I don't receive any funding to the other two DC schools I've applied to, then living at home (although UM isn't exactly cheap either) would save me a lot of money. Plus, after going to one of their info sessions about the MAIA program, you could potentially finish their program in one year if you tried. From my observing, it seems like the MAIA program is fairly new-- so as a student at UM, you would definitely benefit from not being one of hundreds. I've already received my acceptance letter, but I won't know about my other applications until mid-March.

Sure, UM is an affiliate-member of APSIA, but I would be interested to know, REALLY know, what goes into determining who is an APSIA member. Notice: UM is an affiliate member, not full member.

The other two schools I applied to are SAIS and Elliott. This is because I'm interested in Eurasian/Russian affairs, and I'm excited about SAIS' emphasis on economics and GW's diverse range of courses and flexibility. I also got the sense that GWU has a warm ambiance. GWU also has an optional thesis (while it's certainly commendable, why should one have to write a thesis if they don't want to stay in academia?) SAIS and Elliott are in DC, which is a convenient and advantageous location for studying international affairs. SAIS (and GW), I should clarify, does not require thesis, but a capstone project. My point here is that at least GW has the option if you felt so compelled.

I considered Maxwell at first, and then I needed to be real with myself and say, "I don't belong in freezing upstate New York, in a small town." I grew up in Miami, and I am happier in big cities.

At this point you've probably already made your decisions, so out of curiosity, to which schools have you applied?

Only after posting my reply did I re-read your last post and realize you answered my last question. I also considered U of Pitt for a hot second, but I didn't want to apply to that many schools. I wonder what the average number of schools is that people apply to for their Master's, specifically for IR? I thought three was low, but then I know someone who only applied to one-- and got in.

Also, UM focuses on preparing you for the real world. I think I understand from their sessions that they train their students to write grants. They also have lots of crash courses, that are free, in subjects you may not have learned previously. I'm out of town right now, so I don't have my UM info packet, but I wish I could give you some examples. If you're interested, I'll look it up when I get home.

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I am part of the dept of IR at BU, writing in order to urge any readers interested in the IR and Religion (IRRN) program to drop a line to the department directly with questions or concerns. About internships  or advising, or anything. We try our best to guide our students into and through the program successfully, and would love to do the same for you. The IRRN program is now under new leadership, poached from Stanford, and we are excited about the future of a program that addresses some of world's most pressing policy dilemas. So please be in touch!