Any American Students Living Abroad But Applying Back Home?

Hello. Are there any other American students living in another country but applying for grad school back in the US? I see that there is a pinned forum post for those applying abroad but not for those thinking of coming back.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages when applying? Would they treat me like a domestic student or international for admission purposes, and do committees even have a preference? My entire education including masters was in the US and only more recently moved abroad, if that makes a difference.

Then there’s a strange visa issue. I’m applying to PhD programs this year for Fall 2022. I’m a US citizen, but my husband is a citizen of the country where we’re living, so I would need a spousal visa for him (I-130). I heard that I can apply for a K-3 visa as well to shorten the waiting time while the other form is processed, but I heard that it’s not even looked at anymore so it’s pointless.

Has anyone gone through this process before? Would the international student office of my potential universities be able to help me if I’m admitted even though I’m not an international student? Let’s say I get admitted in February or March. Could I show my admissions letter (showing program start date) in my visa petition to get it expedited? I guess it’s complex since there is no student visa for me, so my husband cannot be added as a dependent like how international students can bring their spouses.

I heard it can take up to 10 months for the spousal visa to be processed (and you have 6 months after the visa approval to enter the US). Should I start applying for my husband’s visa now just in case before even applying to my PhD programs? We have to give up our current apartment and bring our three pets to the US and find housing in the US too, so I’m worried if my husband and I will have to move months apart from each other.

If you are a US citizen, your application will be viewed as a US citizen. Where you are living now won't really make any difference to them, especially if your whole educational history is in the US. Also, your husband's legal status is also likely not of relevance to the university. I would speak to an immigration attorney regarding your husband's status and options.