Anthropology!

Guest cat

Guest Andrewster
Yes, cultural. The location is a matter of blocks, right? Both are NYC -- and location in NYC isn't too big a factor I'd imagine for either. Anyway, it's really a matter of the programs -- any idea of the differences? I've already made up my mind, but I'm interested in how the various programs stack up against eachother, and what impressions other students have of each. Thanks for the Cuny info. Just very curious how they make their minds up. Very black box this whole process...

The location is a matter of about 100 blocks. I'm just a bigger fan of the village. As far as differences go, I know that Columbia has added a number of faculty over the past five years or so. The feeling I got when I talked to other professors outside of Columbia was sort of a wait-and-see approach because no one is sure how cohesive the faculty will be. They brought in a lot of giants in the field (Ortner, Dirks, Taussig, etc.) and I don't have any inside info on how that has worked out over the past few years. I think it's really a matter of strengths and what you want to study. NYU is a great place to do work on the anthropology of media, science, and technology, while Columbia has more faculty and draws on more diverse research interests. I think NYU is a great place to get a PhD if you want to work in the academic world. It seems like the number of grad students getting tenure after finishing their dissertations is on the rise.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't make the choice between Columbia and NYU based on location. They are only a subway ride away from each other. Yes, if you are going out, you will probably go downtown (NYU), but you probably can't afford to live there anyway. Choose whiche4ver is better for you intellectually.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest UThopeful

Hi everyone--I was wondering how--in general--the applications process has worked out for you. Though I did get into my "top choice", I have several very qualified friends who didn't get any offers from anthro programs, and the sense from our mentors and other Ph.D. students is that it just "isn't a good year" for the discipline and for social science admissions in general. What do you think? I was also curious why there haven't been many anthro-related posts in comparison to the other disciplines represented here on grad cafe. Is this just because all the letters have been mailed, or have others turned away in disgust because of disappointing admissions results?

Good luck!

Guest one man's tale

Speaking only for myself, this has seemed a ridiculously selective process. I don't know how much this year differs from any other, but as a tri-lingual Fulbright scholar with quite decent GREs scores who graduated summa cum laude from a top 10 school with a clear research plan, I was more than a bit surprised to get no offers and only be waitlisted at one school for a PhD.

Guest prianna

Yes, that does suck, and I know someone with similar qualifications who was also only waitlisted at one school. He's very disillusioned by the whole process, and refuses to consider applying again next year if worse comes to worse. What will you do, one man's tale? I need advice to help him deal with this.

I applied to a bunch ofschools, and the only ones I got into were the ones where there was a professor with my very obscure and specific interests. They are pioneers in the field, but they aren't at the places that I really, really wanted to go to.

Guest sutelae

Anything? Anything at all?

Rejections?

God, it feels like you're selling your sould and prostituting yourself at the same time, doesn't it?

Guest jhellitt

I applied to 8 schools, rejected from 6 and haven't heard from 2. I contacted the last two schools, CUNY and Penn, and they have not gotten back to me. I'm sure the answer will be like the others but just want it over with, kinda like ripping off a band-aid. Just tell me "no" so I can move on. I definately am not as qualified as "one man's tale" but before going down this path, I talked to the professors I was close with to find out if I even had a shot, and they encouraged me that I did. I should have known things would end badly when the first rejection I got was in an email and they spelled my name wrong. I hope they paid the same care when looking over my materials...

After going through the various stages of denial, anger, sadness, bitterness and now numbness, I realized that the last few months have been exactly like being broken up with. When people ask how I'm doing, I just say "My school dream broke up with me."

I'm not going to apply next year because nothing on my application would change, so what is the point?

Guest a guest

well, nothing on your application would change, but maybe your choice in schools should? not specifically targeting you since i know nothing about your research interests, but it seems to me that a lot of people who apply for anthro that i've seen all pick these really really competitive programs. most anthro programs are pretty competitive, but especially when everyone is trying to get into penn/berkely/michigan/etc., your chances there are even more slim. i feel like there are probably many schools that have programs that are compatible with a lot of people, and too many get caught up in only applying to extremely high name-recognition schools. once again, not trying to attack neither you nor "one man's tale," it's kind of just something i've been thinking about.

i don't think anyone should give up on applying again (although i understand the feeling as i thought i wouldn't reapply if i were rejected everywhere), but that they should reconsider which programs they apply to; definitely reapply to some of the programs that rejected you this year if you feel it is a good fit for you, but look at other programs at other schools and contact professors there to see if they think you would fit. also, take a good look at your personal statement, and see if you can improve it. on the livejournal community "applyingtograd" a lot of people will post their SOPs and get great feedback from other grad hopefuls and also successful grad students. ugh, i don't want to sound like one of those annoying people that thinks they know everything, i just think that if you are serious about it and pick the right schools and have a great SOP/letter of rec, that both you and "one man's tale" could get into a great program next time around.

Guest jhellitt

I totally hear what you're saying and definately don't take it as an attack, so no worries.

I knew that grad school was my goal, but wanted to work for a while just to make sure that I fully understood the alternative "real world" that most people work in. the person i was when i graduated in 2000 definately would have imploded in school. i took jobs in the marketing industry (i had planned to study the consumption and preservation of urban landscape in school...marketing jobs were as close as i could get!), i stayed in touch with profs, took grad level night classes at harvard, and took my time planning out exactly what i wanted to do and who to do it with. these people are all at top tier schools which i knew would be tough to get into, but i figured that if they only admitted 1%, i just had to be in that 1%.

i totally understand why i didn't get in: i went to bucknell, not exactly known for anth. i didn't graduate with honors. although i don't have a lot of debt, i also don't have a lot of savings or a parent that can help pay. those are all really good reasons to not let me in, but i had thought with a strong personal statement, a strong writing sample and excellent recommendations, somehow that would carry me to the next level. but i also know that there are loads of people who *did* go to a top school, who *did* graduate with honors and who *do* have financial help who also have strong statements, recommendations etc...i guess i'm just not a good fit because my strengths "net out" as they say in the business world...

Guest aswos

so, keeping funding, degrees and localities on the side, ease my decision: new school, santa cruz, columbia ???

Guest UThopeful

jhellitt and one man's tale, did you approach professors at the schools where you were applying? I think that this can be a big help in the applications process--though sometimes it's really hard to get through to them. If you haven't tried this avenue though, it might pay off to place calls or write emails to the people you wanted to work with and see what they have to say--if not about your application, then about the prospects for your future study there, or for their advice as to how such study could be undertaken elsewhere. Maybe you could ask your recommenders to help put you in touch with these folks. I know this is a no-brainer, but thought I'd mention it here since, having gone through a disappointing first round of applications (despite being bilingual with top grades and a Fulbright as well), I know it's really hard to go through all that again...but it can pay off. I have heard (and my results from this time around support this) that schools like to see applicants try again, particularly after having contacted the department.

Of course, I'm not saying you should do this--I know that it's a huge pain, and you've probably considered it already, but thought I'd put that out there just in case.

Guest Anthro Applicant

My own experience was being accepted for two UK masters programs, and rejected from all the US PhD programs that I applied to except for the one that I wanted in the most, and therefore visited, lobbied, and kept in contact with professors. Even my safety school didn't respond to my application... However, the dept. I spent the time to lobby, let me in with full funding/stipend. Though at the time I felt the interviews went badly, I now credit the effort with the success of my application. Even though I felt the interviews went *only ok* the information I got from the process was very useful. Professors flat-out told me they weren't interested in my topic, so I went back to the drawing board, realized they were right, and tailored my application to more contemporary anthro theory.

The only jobs I've ever got in my life were through the same method -- staying in their faces until they hired me. If the committees see you as a person, they'll be more interested in you than if you are only a folder on their desk. Sure, it should be more scientific a process, but we're/they're only human.

Guest one man's tale

Prianna, I went through the "Fine, if you don't want me I don't want you" never-applying-again stage, just like your friend. Now that I've gotten a little distance, I think I'll probably just apply again- mostly to different places- next year. The truth is that the largest part of my disappointment came from the fact that pursuing a doctorate in cult. anth. is really the only thing I want to be doing next year and to be told I can't is quite a bummer.

I'll do a lot of things differently this time around, which will be facilitated by the fact that I expect to be back in the US next year. You're right UTHopeful, having contact with professors is REALLY important and I'll take that into account the next time around.

It's all very discouraging, but I'm trying to keep things in perspective. It's certainly not the end of the world, or my future as an anthropologist.

Guest UThopeful

one man's tale, I hear you--I did my first round of applications while I was away on my Fulbright, and put a ton of effort into them and even spent a huge chunk of time during my one visit back to the US getting rec letters, meeting with old mentors, etc. But the distance made it really hard for me to get a feel for what was going on, and I wasn't able to visit departments or assertively market myself. I think things will work out much better once you're stateside. :-) And in the meantime, you have a chance to step back and get even more perspective on your project and your goals as an academic--what battles you're willing to fight to get what you want.

It's really always worth a second (or third!) try...even if you have the best of credentials, the process can be a real crap shoot. Good luck!

Guest taobenli

So glad to hear it's not just me! I really thought I had a good chance at getting into at least a couple of the 6 schools I applied to (and I certainly didn't apply to just the top schools), but here I am on April 16th, sitting on a waitlist and praying (and I'm not at all religious). My GRE scores were not good but my application was strong otherwise, or at least I thought so. I e-mailed professors at each of the schools I applied to and got positive feedback about my research interests, but when it came time for admissions committees to meet they didn't choose me. I am actually in an okay situation because even if I don't get picked off the waitlist I got a Fulbright to Taiwan next year. I am excited by that prospect, but of course that means I couldn't use that Fulbright later for doctoral research, and I'm in the complicated situation of getting married in the summer, and though my S.O. is supportive and will come abroad with me, I know it is NOT what he wants to do right now.

I know I shouldn't complain, but what I really want to do is start a PhD in cultural anthropology. I'll keep crossing my fingers!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

to the stanford waitlistee...im curious what email you were sent and when?

was it a notification of "alternate status" saying they were impressed with your application and if you had funding let them know but you need to wait if you want funding, etc. etc.?

i got this email and am going to spend my days nervously twitching until i hear anything further...

i got rejected from berkeley today.

havent heard back from columbia or the new school.

what other programs did you apply to?

Yes, I received precisely the same email (last thursday). Maybe we can hope we are among the five people who received it? Did you also have an "interview"?

For a reason that is no longer clear to me, I decided not to apply to berkeley...

I was accepted at the University of Chicago and the University of Michigan and I'm still waiting on Harvard, Princeton, and Columbia. In terms of this last one, I wouldn't expect anything for another month because they seem more disorganized than the others. So yes, I'm also quite nervous and impatient to go back to my actual work instead of constantly checking my email. And although there's that whole thing about misery and company, I think this website actually makes it worse.