eReaders for the Humanities

Liquirizia

Hello colleagues in the humanities,

I've read some of the previous threads on eReaders but they're all from around 2011. I'm particularly interested in updated information on quality eReaders as well as how they would function for someone in the humanities. Do you recommend using one or not? If so, which eReaders would you recommend? How is using an eReader in class?

I'm in the languages, and I've heard you can find books in the target language for cheaper on eReaders and then you have the added benefit of a built in dictionary and can take notes more easily in the text. I'm very old-fashioned so the idea of using an eReader isn't particularly thrilling, but at the same time, neither is lugging around copious amounts of books. Any information on the great debate of eReaders would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Hey! I hope this helps.   I ended up doing some research and got an E-Reader called the Onyx Boox Note Air, which runs on a limited version of Android 10. However, it's great for reading PDF's and taking notes on the actual device and the transferring process is relatively easy. I am also in the humanities and it's been wonderful thus far. I cannot speak about the longevity of it, but I enjoy using it. 

• 5 months later...

When I completed my master's in education, I ended up getting a Kindle Fire tablet (I think something that can also be a tablet and/or take files from other devices is key) to read my textbooks which helped a lot. During undergraduate when I'd read more standalone books or anthologies, I had a mixed bag of success with PDFs.