Applying to MA after leaving microbiology PhD program?

Until recently I was in a PhD program studying microbiology and molecular genetics. I made the difficult (but right) decision to leave aftr 2 years as wet bench work was absolutely not the career path I wanted to pursue anymore. Mastering out of my program is not possible, sadly. 

I am transitioning into the counterterrorism/counterintelligence space with the goal of working on CBRN (chem, bio, rad, nuclear) defense.  In undergrad I got a minor in global terrorism at the University of Maryland and did an internship working on DARPA Sigma+ which is focused on CRBN-based defense and I loved it. I am really excited to make this transition and am passionate about this new career.

I'm applying to jobs that don't require a graduate degree currently, but also want to apply to some MA programs in homeland security/CT/intelligence in case those don't prove fruitful. I think a grad degree would help show commitment to this field change if I can't get some entry-level job just to get my foot in the door in some tangentially related position. I have good letters of rec and a good academic track record, but am concerned about how leaving a grad program will look on my applications. There are only a small handful of these programs so the schools will be along the caliber of University of Maryland (my alma mater), American, George Mason, Penn State World, GW, and Hopkins/ Georgetown at the top end.

Should I mention my graduate coursework from my PhD in the applications? I can reframe my time in the microbiology program as "Research Assistant" rather than graduate assistant because I spent all of my time doing research and only took a small handful of courses. How rough do you think this application process will be? Will leaving the PhD be a big enough red flag that I'm in real trouble of not being able to get into a program? Any advice you may have would be great!

UG GPA: 3.94

Grad GPA: 4.0