MEDA award from McGill

ahf

Hi

I won MEDA award from McGill University which is 22-25k for three years and I have to pay sth about 3k to univesity and I do not know anything about tax in Canada. I do not have any sense about this amount of mony for living expenses in Quebec. I would be glad if anyone inform me.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Now talking about Mcgill, that is my first choice school. Applying for a Masters in Pol. Sci.(my 2nd MA). Haven't heard about admissions or stuff like that; any body in the same boat? Anybody heard from McGill or Carleton on admission/funding? Dying of curiosity.

Congratulations on your award man. If I were you, I would not ask even one question: will pack and head to Montreal in the summer. LOL.

you will pretty much not have to pay taxes in montreal- i lived there for several years and my roommate then was an international student (US) with comprable funding.

You can actually receive almost all of the taxes they take off in the tax refund, and then probably get extra in a GST return. McGill has very good tax services for international students, but I found that attending their sessions and then getting one of the people who offer to do taxes for $15 (there will be plenty come tax time) is VERY helpful... Montreal also lets you claim the property tax that your apartment manager has to pay :)

As for living expenses, you can do very well because it's such a cheap city to live in... rent for a nice apartment (let's say 2 bdrm) can be found for around 850 (not inclusive), but that would depend on where you lived. I had a place in NDG for $700 all inclusive, 2 bdrms. Also, a metro pass is discounted for students, and they cost $35 a month, and you can get everywhere on it (includes metro and bus).

Have a great time there... it was by far the best city i've lived in thus far if you factor in everything from housing, quality of education, lifestyle, cost of living etc.