Emailing Professors in the Summer

bh1ge3u1hqwdjb

Hello. Is it still too early in the year to email POI for PhD programs? I have some professors I’ve researched whose articles I’ve been reading for a while now and whose research interests seem strongly related to mine. Recently, I’ve sent a few of them emails to introduce myself and express my interest in their work. But I’m not sure if it’s the right timing or not. I certainly don’t want to annoy anyone during their summer break. But I also figured that they’re probably more free now than they will be once the semester starts. Of course I’ll follow up later in the fall if I don’t hear back in the next month or two.

I’ve spoken to a few current doctoral students of those professors and received mixed responses about when to reach out. Some suggested August or September, while others think now is a good time to reach out. For those who have gone through the PhD process already and got acceptances, what do you think? When did you start contacting professors, and when did you get a response (if you did)? How long did it usually take to hear back?

I know professors are busy with so many things and some might not respond at all, so I’m just patiently waiting now. ?

Edited by nanakimmy9

You can email them now but don't take it personally if they don't respond. Follow up in two-three weeks. 

When I was applying, I sent out emails over the summer and received responses across the board.