"Alt" MS data science programs simililar to Columbia's QMSS?

It's been relatively easy to find standard Data Science MS programs. What has been harder is finding programs that are similar, but different enough that they don't show up in lists of Data Science MS programs. For example, Columbia's Quantitative Methods in Social Sciences program (QMSS). What are Masters programs that are similar to QMSS, in that they teach some level of statistics and coding?

So far, I've heard of:

• NYU: Applied Urban Science & Informatics
  • NYU: Applied Statistics for Social Science Research
  • UChicago: Computational Social Sciences
  • Uchicago: Computational Analysis and Public Policy
  • LSE: Applied Social Data Science
  • Brown: Social Analysis and Research
  • Western Michigan University: Evaluation, Measurement, and Research
  • Carnegie Mellon: Public Policy & Management: Data Analytics

But are there others?

To be more specific to my needs, I've worked as a Data/Research Analyst for a couple of years, but have worked mostly in Excel and Stata and would like to both shore up my statistics (I haven't done anything rigorous for a while) and learn to do that statistical work in Python/R. I have no formal Comp Sci experience (self taught a bit), have an MA in Economics, minored in Math, and did a fair number of statistical/econometric projects in undergrad. So, looking for programs where I can get a much stronger coding foundation and also advance my statistics. Something fairly technical. I don't want a PhD, would like to do data science work in the policy/politics space. Ideally would like to stay in NYC but curious about programs outside of it.

I want to say that NYU has an actual MS in Data Science. Georgetown also has a policy/data science program and I think Penn does too.

I am going to appear bias here because I am a UChicago CAPP, but MSCAPP I believe is the best program out there for policy and data science. MACSS at UChicago is honestly pretty good too, but I think funds are more limited and if there are any interesting MACSS classes you want to take you can just take them as an MSCAPP student.

CMU PPM-DA is pretty good too, not as good as MSCAPP, but generally gives a lot more money. I think that many students I know find themselves in the dilemma of choosing between MSCAPP and PPM-DA with more money. 

On 7/28/2021 at 8:33 PM, prospector said:

It's been relatively easy to find standard Data Science MS programs. What has been harder is finding programs that are similar, but different enough that they don't show up in lists of Data Science MS programs. For example, Columbia's Quantitative Methods in Social Sciences program (QMSS). What are Masters programs that are similar to QMSS, in that they teach some level of statistics and coding?

So far, I've heard of:

• NYU: Applied Urban Science & Informatics
  • NYU: Applied Statistics for Social Science Research
  • UChicago: Computational Social Sciences
  • Uchicago: Computational Analysis and Public Policy
  • LSE: Applied Social Data Science
  • Brown: Social Analysis and Research
  • Western Michigan University: Evaluation, Measurement, and Research
  • Carnegie Mellon: Public Policy & Management: Data Analytics

But are there others?

To be more specific to my needs, I've worked as a Data/Research Analyst for a couple of years, but have worked mostly in Excel and Stata and would like to both shore up my statistics (I haven't done anything rigorous for a while) and learn to do that statistical work in Python/R. I have no formal Comp Sci experience (self taught a bit), have an MA in Economics, minored in Math, and did a fair number of statistical/econometric projects in undergrad. So, looking for programs where I can get a much stronger coding foundation and also advance my statistics. Something fairly technical. I don't want a PhD, would like to do data science work in the policy/politics space. Ideally would like to stay in NYC but curious about programs outside of it.

I'm a QMSS student and I can attest that the program is great if you intend to go into public policy. There's a lot of alumni placed in prestigious think tanks like Brookings. The flexibility of QMSS is a pro-you can take classes in the Econ department, in SIPA, in business, etc. You can definitely tailor your classes to your goals. And QMSS teaches you coding in both R and Python (and even SQL, AWS and other big data tools). 

Another program is the NYU A3SR. It's headed by Jennifer Hill who is a close colleague of Andrew Gelman, the founder of our program.