Fall 2022 Stat/Applied Math Ph.D profile seeking advice(school recommendations appreciated)

I did not plan on applying to stat phd programs until this summer, so I don't have many stat courses, I hope I could still have a chance. Also consider applied math programs.

Undergrad Institution: Top 100 US university, public(I went to a community college for 2 semesters before I transfered to my current university)
Major(s): Applied Mathematics 
Minor: None
GPA: 3.9+
Type of Student: Asian male, first generation(I doubt this would give me any extra credits)

GRE: Take in the fall

GRE Subject: Not planning, but might take in the fall

Coursework (completed)
Lower division: Calc1-3, Discrete Math, Applied Linear Algebra, Intro to Proofs
Upper division: Intro mathematical stats, Calc4 differential equations, Geometric Structures, Finite Mathematical Structures, Data Analysis, Graph Theory, Applied Algebra, Mathematical Biology, Intro to Analysis(Intro real analysis), Applied Real Analysis, Applied Complex Analysis, Intro computational math

All As, except a B in calc1. Also have some CS, tech, or coding-related courses, all As.

Research/ working experiences: One REU this summer on deep learning, very likely to get my paper published(first author)

Skills
Python, Java, Latex, C, Matlab

Teaching experience
- TAed 2 semesters in intro mathematical stat course

Letters of recommendation:
1 from professor I've done research with(probably very strong, but who knows). One from professor I TAed for(probably strong). One from a Distinguished professor(probably just positive, but could be strong)

Schools

Unsure, every school seems to be a reach for me. All recommendations would be appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

If you got A's in Real Analysis/Applied Analysis (which I'm guessing is like baby functional analysis?) I think you should apply to the range of NCSU/Wisconsin Madison/UIUC/Rice/Texas A&M and below. NCSU/Wisconsin might be a little of a reach but its pretty possible :).  I'd also think about applying to programs like Umichigans Biostat Masters (which is funded) to give yourself a leg-up before going PhD. If Biostats is an option, UNC biostats and below should be a good chance. Good Luck!

Edited by trynagetby

On 8/25/2021 at 6:05 PM, trynagetby said:

If you got A's in Real Analysis/Applied Analysis (which I'm guessing is like baby functional analysis?) I think you should apply to the range of NCSU/Wisconsin Madison/UIUC/Rice/Texas A&M and below. NCSU/Wisconsin might be a little of a reach but its pretty possible :).  I'd also think about applying to programs like Umichigans Biostat Masters (which is funded) to give yourself a leg-up before going PhD. If Biostats is an option, UNC biostats and below should be a good chance. Good Luck!

Thanks a lot! What about Stony Brook and Pittsburg? Are they within reach?

2 hours ago, RandomMathGuy said:

Thanks a lot! What about Stony Brook and Pittsburg? Are they within reach?

I think you have a pretty good chance to get into them. I'm don't know much about those programs, but in general for domestic students the competitiveness of PhD programs falls drastically once you get out of the union of top 30 Stat Schools and top 30 general schools.